This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

We stay out too late, got nothing in our brain… that’s what people say.

We go on too many dates, not smart enough to get into Notre Dame… at least that’s what people say.

MRS degrees, parties every week… that’s all that they see.

The “Sluttle” is our main form of transportation, just a bunch of “jersey chasers,” we “don’t even go here,” ring by spring, “go back to your ‘castle’…” at least that’s what people say.  

The stereotypes have been around for years, and we are all aware of them. I’m sure many of us even asked tour guides, mentors, and other Belles the validity of such stereotypes before deciding to make this incredible place; this incredible college, our home.  

As I sat down to read the article “Behind Cab Doors” written by the lovely Hannah Drinkall, I was again reminded of these stigmas. Stigmas, which I hoped, were really just myth. However, it has recently come to the surface that these stereotypes are just as real as ever. But let me tell you one thing girls, ITS GONNA BE ALRIGHT. What they DON’T see is the unbreakable sisterhood that we have as Saint Mary’s Belles. We are strong, classy, and intelligent women, and what we have here at Saint Mary’s is unlike any other. What others might say does not define us as individuals or as an institution.

Let’s face it, we have been apart of this wonderful Notre Dame and Saint Mary’s community since 1844, and we aren’t going anywhere… so ladies here are 13 reasons why we’ve got to just, SHAKE IT OFF.

1. That feeling you get when going down The Ave. Whether it may be the start of a new school year, alumni coming home for a visit, or just a Belle coming back to campus from an afternoon of running errands. We all experience it. And it’s the most amazing feeling. A feeling that you KNOW you are where you belong, that you couldn’t imagine yourself driving down any other road to any other school. HOME.

2. “We don’t even go there,” but hey look, that’s a Belle doing student pushups in the student section at the Notre Dame football game.  We are blessed to have the opportunity to participate in many of the greatest traditions at the University of Notre Dame as well as have our own experience here at SMC. The best of both worlds? I think yes.

3. What other school stands outside in the pouring rain on freshmen move-in day to welcome home their Baby-Belles, and has an amazing time doing it? The love that Saint Mary’s girls have for one another is indescribable. Immediately upon the class of 2018’s arrival, every Belle on this campus was excited to share what Saint Mary’s has to offer with our first years. GO BELLES.

4. We live in a “castle” you say? Why yes, yes that actually is true. Stop by anytime you’d like; all are welcome to live the life of a Saint Mary’s princess.

5. “Hey look, there’s another Smick!” It is a very common occurrence to be out on the weekends and see a large group of fellow Belles who are just oh so excited to see you. You may not even know these Belles very well, but that doesn’t matter, because what does matter is that you are all Belles and you all stick together.

6. Ring by spring? More like ring 5 weeks after the start of your junior year. The Saint Mary’s class ring is the pride of every Belle. Non-Belles will really never understand that this is the most beautiful and special ring a Belle will ever own, well I guess MAYBE next to her wedding ring… maybe.

7. Smickurity and Blinky. Need I say more? Here at Saint Mary’s we are very well cared for. Smickurity will pick us up if we are ever in need. SMC security have even driven me to the ND bus stop at 4AM to catch the Coach USA bus to Midway airport. That ladies, is love. And not to mention Blinky. Where would we be without our drives home from the grotto sitting shotgun with Blinky Bob singing along to his hits of the 2000’s playlist? Not very many other institutions have the compassion that our SMC staff and faculty have for us.

8. Recognizing that a stranger is a Belle in public, and imediately finding yourself loving that person despite the fact that you don’t even know them. Seeing the SMC on someone’s shirt, the french cross around someone’s neck, or the SMC ring on someone’s finger and saying “Did you go to Saint Mary’s?” is another great feeling we get as Belles. The Saint Mary’s bond is instintaneous when we have these occurances. You automatically feel like you know the person. SMC FOREVER.

9. Not only do we have a bond with other Belles, but we also are fortunate enough to be a part of a community that allows us to make friends across the street as well. Not every member of the Notre Dame community believes the stigmas that are wrongfully put on the SMC name. In fact, it is only the few who DO believe and act upon these stereotypes that make them  seem so real. But in reality, we all have friends who attend Notre Dame. True friends who will not judge us because of the title of our college. Stereotypes are meant to be broken right? I mean who else would put us up for student pushups during the football game.

10. “Graduation,” the forbidden word in a Belle’s vocabulary. Most people are excited at the thought of graduating right? Well, maybe most people, but not a Belle. We dread the thought of graduating and leaving this place. It brings tears to our eyes to think about one day not being able to go to mass in Le Mans every Sunday, sit in the DH for hours with our best friends, or walk down The Ave to the Grotto. This place is and forever will be a part of us.

11. Sisterhood. Many Belles came to Saint Mary’s for a highly regarded education, but we will leave with more than just a reputable degree. We will leave with life long friends who have turned into sisters. Friends who will be our bridesmaids, friends we will visit each year despite the miles and miles of distance between, friends we will continue our group messages with until we are too old to see our iphone screens. I have been lucky enough to meet my soulmates here at Saint Mary’s College. The sisters I am blessed enough to share my experiences with at Saint Mary’s during the crazy four years that are college. The good, the bad, the ugly, and all that is to come, they will be there.

12. Carol Ann Mooney. We by far have the most amazing college president of any school. How many can say that their acceptance letter came as a personalized video from the college’s president? President Mooney is the epitome of a Saint Mary’s Belle. She is well respected and loved by all of the Saint Mary’s community, and hey guess what? She also has an ND degree! Not many other colleges or university’s are blessed enough to have any sort of relationship with their school’s president. Do you ever see President Mooney eating in the dh? Go sit with her!

13. And most importantly, WE LOVE SAINT MARY’S. Anything that anyone says is not going to change the way we feel about our home. Saint Mary’s is ours. The sisterhood is ours. We adore sharing our love of SMC with the world, but for those who do not respect or understand all that is Saint Mary’s College, you’re missing out.

So ladies, be proud and confident in your choice to be a Saint Mary’s Belle. After all…

Photos provided by Emily, GIF 1, GIF 2, GIF 3, GIF 4, GIF 5, GIF 6, GIF 7

Be sure to follow HCSMC on FacebookTwitter, and Instagram!

Emily James

Saint Mary's

Saint Mary's College, Notre Dame IN Nursing Major
Hannah Drinkall

Saint Mary's

Hannah graduated Saint Mary's College (May 2016) with a major in Communication Studies & a minor in Public Relations & Advertising. She was the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Saint Mary's, which she co-founded in December 2013. She's from Florida, and she is now working in New York City with New York Times best selling author, Adriana Trigiani. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter, @hannahdrinkall!