Sex and The City: Which Fashionista Do You Embody?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

A white, floor length mink, a pink Oscar de la Renta gown, nude Valentino pumps, and “Lady Dior” Christian Dior bag. Perfect right? Let’s add in some lively curly hair and cigarettes and who do you think of?  I hope by now you are coming to the conclusion that we are talking about the legend known as Carrie Bradshaw. While Carry is technically considered fictional, her style and wisdom was made a true reality for women as they watched one of the best television series ever created, Sex and the City.

Carrie Bradshaw was a writer of a sex column in New York City and created fashion waves with her three best friends: Charlotte, Miranda, and Samantha. Their lives were filled with cosmopolitans, men, and of course… couture.

These four women represent four unique styles and four different districts of New York. Let’s find out if you will be doing severe credit card damage as Carrie on Fifth Avenue, having a drink at Bemelmans Bar on the Upper East Side as Charlotte, making corporate waves as Miranda in the financial district, or planning the party of the century as Samantha in West Village.

Carrie

Carrie’s attitude and classic couture style makes her the perfect icon to represent Fifth Avenue.  Let’s pretend you have $1,000 in your bank account and happen to casually stroll in Saks on 48th and 5th. Of course, you take the express elevator up to the floor that has its own zip code and walk into what many like to call shoe paradise. The 8th Floor at Saks is known for displaying 4,000 pairs of shoes from top couture designers. As you walk out of the elevator you lay eyes on something that simply takes your breath away. You have found a pair of royal blue Manolo Blahnik pumps and you truly believe it was love at first sight. If you would swipe that piece of plastic leaving you without enough money for cheap Chinese takeout to wear those perfect works of art, that dear, means you are a Carrie. Carries attitude is fashion first which makes her the perfect shopper for Fifth Avenue. Fifth Avenue is lined with couture stores that represent the latest fashion trends from New York to Paris. This does not mean you have to be a millionaire to be Carrie, however it does mean you will spend all the money you do have on fashion and fashion alone. True couture women will purchase these extremely expensive pieces and be the trailblazers for the fashion scene in the city. Some classic styles that would be worn by Carrie would include the following:

Carrie is not afraid to try the newest trend and step out of the box, after all she is a trailblazer. Carrie would wear this 80’s retro look created by the Chanel House of Couture. Showing off her cute figure while making a fashion statement to show her confidence is typical for Carrie.

What would a true fashionista wear after dark? Carrie embraces looks that resembles a true feminine silhouette. This Versace tulle gown shown is a classic representation of the couture style Carrie enables.

Now if you are a true Carrie Bradshaw, you would be found in one of these outfits, smoking a cigarette while your assistant is carrying various shopping bags down the beautiful fashion foreword street known as Fifth Avenue. So all you Carrie’s out there, grab your Birkin and Louboutins and let’s meet at the Plaza for a cosmo.

Charlotte

Charlotte represents all the finer things in life, but not in the same fashion aspect as Carrie did. Charlotte is the perfect representation of the girl from Upper East Side. This neighborhood is considered where the wealthiest New York aristocrats live and socialize. This area does not have the hottest clubs, but their quant and expensive restaurants and bars are filled a very established crowd. Charlotte fits right in the Upper East Side social scene. Her hobbies include making sure the living room light fixtures match the trim on the wing back chairs.

Can’t decide if you are a Charlotte? Would your perfect afternoon consist of looking at swatches for a new furnishing in your multimillion dollar New York Walk up, followed by being in charge of hosting a tea in order to discuss an upcoming charity event? Then you, my dear, are the perfect Charlotte. Now that we know the social life of being a Charlotte, we can also see how the Upper East Side has a different sort of dress code. If you are a Charlotte, your wardrobe can be summed up into three words: Classy, simple, and sophisticated. These are some of the timeless outfits that any Charlotte would have in her closet:

Being Charlotte means that afternoon martini at Uva is a must. This simple cotton sundress by Howard Wolf is a classic stable in her wardrobe. Charlotte would most likely pair this little black dress with a Jimmy Choo nude pump accompanied with a Christian Dior clutch.

A more formal Charlotte look still embodies classic in every sense of the word. Upper East Side living means constant events, Charlotte would be wearing a plunging halter evening gown by Richard Tyler that emulates true sophistication and poise.

A true Charlotte has a closet full of classic staples that will never go out of style. While Charlotte embodies couture, she does not embrace flashy or trendy. See yourself as a Charlotte York, then put on your stark white Prada dress and grab your pearls and lets go look at some art at The Whitney.

Miranda

Sarcastic, opinionated, driven, and a go getter? If any of those adjectives describe you, then you might be sporting that power suit as Miranda. Being Miranda means you are a professional of some sort. You could be the senior partner at a noted law firm that represents various companies in the financial district.

Regardless of what your professional actually is, being Miranda represents the hustle and bustle of what it means to be working in the Financial district. Suits and business professional is the norm, and being Miranda means you itch for the chance to cross examine the defendant in a killer Givenchy wool tuxedo jacket and trouser with a silk multi-trim tank, and pair of Stewart Weitzman pumps. Suits are well-tailored, shoes are shined, and Casual Friday doesn’t exist in the Financial District, quite possibly the most formally dressed neighborhood in New York City. Not sure if you are a Miranda? Miranda has a closet containing power suit by every luxury designer and majority of her clothes are business professional. If you are a Miranda you are routinely rushing to meet a client or trying to get back to the court room, but you are always dressed for success. Even though you are a lawyer, you are representing some of the biggest names on Wall Street, so being in the perfect outfit only makes sense.

If you are Miranda some of your go too’s would include:

The classic black power suit made by Dolce and Gabbana. Any Miranda would have this staple in their closet which would make even the biggest Wall Street hitter do a double take. Miranda also is constantly seen with a Louis Vuitton leather brief case. This look represents the confidence and style Miranda enables while cashing checks and taking names in the Financial District.

But it’s not all work and no play, after all this is New York we are talking about. After a long day in the court room, you would find Miranda having a martini at a sophisticated spot like Delmonico’s on Beaver and Williams. Every Stockbroker ranging from Morgan Stanley to Goldman Stacks are seen here having an after work Manhattan. Miranda would be soaking up this scene and talking business in something just a tad more formal but still very professional. Miranda would show some of her inner sparkle in a sheer Moschino top, worn over a black bandeau by Alberta Ferretti.

Miranda is a mover and a shaker, but she does it all with pristine style. If you are going to hang with all this money hungry and testosterone ranging men on Wall Street, you need to be sure of yourself and Miranda does is perfectly with her confident attitude and her business professional style. Calling all Miranda’s to snatch that brief case and Dior pant suit and meet at the U.S Custom House. 

Samantha

Party is your name; VIP’s are your game. From planning the biggest events in New York’s social scene to recruiting celebrities to every new up and coming night club, Samantha runs the top PR agency in the city. Any party or event that goes on, Samantha is on the list or planning it herself. No better place to party like its 1999 than West Village. Samantha’s progressive style and outgoing attitude makes her a perfect icon for the West Village neighborhood. West Village is known for wealthy, celeb-heavy demographic and a profusion of restaurants, bars, and boutiques. This progressive and fun scene has any Samantha’s name written all over it. Samantha is all about making a statement and being the center of attention. Does this sound like you? One typical weekend for you would entail hosting an event at the Fat Cat and maybe the next you would go out for drinks at the Highline Ballroom with your girlfriends. Nevertheless, Samantha encompasses elite and bold style that makes heads turn everywhere she goes.

If you are a Samantha than your mentality regarding fashion is “the louder the better.” A classic outfit that reflects the true Samantha is this shocking pink Emanuel Ungaro pantsuit coupled with a white Chanel shoulder bag. Wouldn’t you want your PR rep showing up to a lunch meeting in this bold number? I know I would. Being a true Samantha means you ooze confidence and look fabulous while doing it.

Hosting a big event the Grand Boutique tonight, a true Samantha would be sporting the lady in red look. This Prada original would be in any Samantha’s closet. It demands the attention and also encompasses the combination of beauty and sex appeal. Samantha is always about making a statement with both the women and men in any room.

Being a Samantha also means you are the life of the party. You always know the hottest new hangout or who’s going to be on the guest list. You love to have a great time and you are not afraid to make a statement. You strut all over the West Village night scene and have a blast while doing it. So all you fun loving Samantha’s out there, put on your feather Chanel mini and bejeweled Alexander McQueen stilettos and let’s hit the town.

So which fabulous gal are you? When you decide, book that plane ticket to New York and create your own Sex and the City story. 

Photo 1, Photo 2, Photo 3, Photo 4, Photo 5, Photo 6, Photo 7, Photo 8, Photo 9

Follow Her Campus Saint Mary’s on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter!

Style Bloggist/Fashion Enthusiast/New York Inspired
Hannah Drinkall

Saint Mary's

Hannah graduated Saint Mary's College (May 2016) with a major in Communication Studies & a minor in Public Relations & Advertising. She was the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Saint Mary's, which she co-founded in December 2013. She's from Florida, and she is now working in New York City with New York Times best selling author, Adriana Trigiani. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter, @hannahdrinkall!