This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

Most Belles start dreaming about their class rings beginning their freshman year. I remember sharing classes with juniors and seniors and thinking they were practically royalty as soon as I spotted the coveted ring on their finger. For the past two years, I couldn’t wait to look down and see my own class ring on my hand.  I envisioned my ring before I even started my freshman year.  I had seen my mom’s own class ring for years, and from seeing hers I knew I wanted a non-antiqued ring with a sapphire to represent my birthstone, as well as the blue and gold colors of Notre Dame.

Throughout sophomore year, I would mention my ring periodically and drop not-so-subtle hints to my mom about how I would have enough credits by the end of my sophomore year to be able to buy a Saint Mary’s class ring.  My mom was totally on board with me getting one, but as I grew more serious about wanting to get one, she (in the true spirit of being my mom) gave me something to think about. As her youngest child, and the only daughter of three to graduate from Saint Mary’s, she told me it would be an honor for me to wear her class ring. 

I always admired my mother’s ring; I would try it on and wear it from time to time, but it was always, however reluctantly, returned to its rightful owner.  I was flattered by the offer to wear her ring, of course, but I also felt tremendous guilt at wanting to take it from her. After all, it was her class ring and she earned the right to wear it. I didn’t want to take something so meaningful away from her. 

My mom is especially giving, and I knew she wanted me to have her ring. I felt like I was taking away a memory or a piece of her past. Her ring, which she wore on her pinky (a vogue style we have all seen on President Mooney) has a faded antique finish and has a diamond in the center. Engraved on the inside curve are “80 BA MAC.” which signify her class year, degree earned, and her initials.  It is beautiful, but it is not what I originally envisioned when I pictured a class ring on my finger. 

I wrestled with the idea of taking a ring of enormous sentimental value or spending a large sum of money on a new ring. Either way, I felt guilty, as I knew my mom would insist on buying my new ring for me.  I know this sounds way too dramatic of a thought process over a piece of jewelry, but to me, and to so many other Belles, this is no ordinary piece of jewelry. 

The Saint Mary’s class ring represents supreme achievement, tradition, and an undying love for Saint Mary’s College; I knew by buying my own class ring I would possess that tangible representation. However, I believed that by taking my mother’s ring, I would be bringing a new meaning, my own meaning, to the tradition that the class ring embodies.  

So I decided to accept my mother’s class ring. We had it resized to fit my ring finger and across from the scripted “80 BA MAC” reads “MJD 17.” There was a limited amount of space, so I didn’t have BA inscribed next to my initials.  My mom said it would be an honor for me to wear her ring. The true honor, though, is in wearing the ring that carries my mother’s legacy from the class of 1980 and in carrying it forward to honor past, present, and future.  I am proud to wear my mother’s class ring.  I see her as an embodiment of our favorite saying: “Once a Belle, always a Belle.”

Photo provided by the author

Be sure to follow HCSMC on FacebookTwitterInstagram and Pinterest!

Interested in writing for or being apart of HCSMC?

E-mail hannahdrinkall@hercampus.com or thereseburke@hercampus.com for inquiries! 

Hannah Drinkall

Saint Mary's

Hannah graduated Saint Mary's College (May 2016) with a major in Communication Studies & a minor in Public Relations & Advertising. She was the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Saint Mary's, which she co-founded in December 2013. She's from Florida, and she is now working in New York City with New York Times best selling author, Adriana Trigiani. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter, @hannahdrinkall!