Perfect M&M Cookie Recipe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

Over spring break, I made what I think are my best cookies yet, and I make a lot of cookies. They were M&M, and I used Easter pastel M&Ms, and wow, they were amazing. I simply had to share the recipe!

Ingredients:

• A bag of M&Ms (though you may end up with a lot extra, so maybe a little less than one bag)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 2 1/2 cups flour (plus an extra 2-3 tablespoons)
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup shortening (this is what makes them good- you can sub butter, but shortening is better. I always find mine in the baking aisle near the cake mixes, oils, etc)
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 1/2 cup white sugar

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Mix your two sugars, shortening, eggs and vanilla all together. You can do it by hand if you’re working on your biceps, but an electric mixer is easier. 

Once that is well combined and you don’t see streaks of egg, add your flour, salt, baking soda. You may want to add a few extra tablespoons of flour if your dough feels sticky- it shouldn’t be too sticky! Once that is well-combined, GENTLY fold in most of the M&Ms, leaving a few handfuls out (you’ll see why in a sec). Be gentle and don’t overmix, otherwise your cookies will have a bread like texture and will be too dense.

Form your cookies into little mounds on a baking sheet. I like to put a sheet of parchment paper down to make clean up easier. These cookies shouldn’t spread much because you’re using a solid fat (shortening) instead of a liquid fat (oil or melted butter). Place a few M&Ms into the tops of each cookie, because that makes them look good and makes sure the M&Ms are clearly visible once they’re baked (they tend to sink into the cookies). Bake for 10-12 minutes, give or take depending on the quality of your oven. 

Let the cookies rest and cool for a few minutes, and they’re ready to eat! And trust me, you won’t regret eating these. 

Colleen Zewe

Saint Mary's '18

I love fall, holidays, PSLs and forcing my dog to take pictures with me for Snapchat.