I Graduate in May and I Don’t Have a Plan.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

Every day I find myself blocking out the latest social media post with the countdown of days until graduation. When a professor announces how many class periods we have left, I find myself sinking in my chair, thinking of anything and everything else besides graduation.

Not only am I sad (and terrified) to be leaving the place I’ve called home for four years, but I also have the pressure of answering that dreaded question, “so what are your plans after graduation?”

*cue my nervous laugh* I. DON’T. KNOW.

Now please don’t read too much aggression into that – it’s frankly just how I feel, really nothing personal.

I was recently blessed to spend a four-hour car ride with my parents, and I decided to throw out a crazy idea. I proposed to them that I postpone my job search. I only have 29 days left (oh gosh, I did it. I calculated the number) as a student at Saint Mary’s, and honestly, I don’t want to spend them feeling stressed and traveling for interviews. For now, all I want to do is enjoy every last weekend out at CJ’s or Finni’s. I want to relish my nights spent writing articles in La Fun. Or cherish the walks to the Grotto. I want to lay in front of Le Mans and look up at that castle without feeling stressed. As you can see, my list could go on and on, and the stress of finding a job was overwhelming me to the point where I was no longer enjoying my favorite parts of college.

Turns out my parents didn’t think my crazy idea was too crazy after all. I’m forever grateful for the support they show me, day in and day out. There really is not a single instance when I haven’t felt them right behind me. I’m thankful they have faith that I will, in fact, one day (hopefully soon, right?) be employed. They trust me and my decisions.

So for those of you who don’t have a job lined up after graduation, it’s okay. Of course, continue to check back in, you never know when that dream job will appear. But don’t let the pressure consume you. Enjoy the last few moments you have left.

And for those of you who have a job lined up, way to go! There is no one way to approach our future as we head down the final stretch, but as Saint Mary’s women I’m confident everything will work out. 

Allie Royce

Saint Mary's '18

Hope you find my work relatable and humorous.