How to Spot and Address Disordered Eating Tendencies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

For many, the term “eating disorder” conjures up mental images of skeletal adolescent girls who starve themselves in order to achieve a state of thinness that they deem “acceptable.”  Although it’s true that many with EDs starve themselves for so long they resemble skeletal figures, eating disorders manifest in very different ways in each person’s body. For this reason, many people who suffer from eating disorders are either afraid to acknowledge their disordered tendencies or don’t even recognize that they have an eating disorder. It’s crucial to spread awareness of the prevalence of eating disorders and the warning signs of disordered behaviors so that individuals will have the courage to seek help and choose the path to recovery. Here are four of the most telling emotional and physical signs which signal the existence of an eating disorder.

1. Avoidance of family meals, events, or going out to eat at restaurants

One of the most telling signs of the existence of an eating disorder is the avoidance of meals which are not completely “healthy” and/or may contain excessive calories. This includes refusing to eat at family dinners or events like Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, and birthday celebrations. Many individuals with disordered tendencies will either bring their own prepared food to such events or refuse to eat altogether, claiming that they’ve eaten before the event. Those with eating disorders will also often refuse to eat out at restaurants with friends or family since they do not know the menu’s nutritional information or cannot guarantee its accuracy. When I suffered from an ED, I regularly declined to go out to eat with my friends, or when I did, I would sip on water and refuse to eat anything. My disordered mind convinced me that if I had one bite of food from a restaurant, I would immediately get fat. I reasoned that since I couldn’t guarantee the accuracy of the restaurant’s nutritional calculations, I would instantly put on weight and lose all the progress I’d made on my fitness and weight loss journey. I missed out on so many special events during this time because I was paranoid about all of the excessive calories I would consume that would “ruin” my progress. This type of mentality is extremely disordered, and if you experience or witness these types of avoidance behaviors, it’s time to talk to the individual about addressing their possible eating disorder.  

2. Obsession with eating only “clean” foods and demonizing all foods which are not “healthy”

Another common practice of individuals who have eating disorders is the avoidance of all foods which are not completely “clean.” Eating a healthy diet full of nutritious and wholesome foods is certainly important for general well-being and maintaining a healthy weight. However, individuals who suffer from eating disorders turn this healthy practice and twist it into an unhealthy psychological obsessive behavior. When an individual is suffering from an ED, he or she will typically only consume foods which are “clean”, or healthy, and they will deny themselves food which they crave for prolonged periods of time. This leads many individuals to fantasize about foods which they have restricted for so long that they develop habits of binge-eating, followed by purging. If you notice a friend or loved one obsessing over eating “clean” 100% of the time for a long period of time, remind them that moderation is the best approach to a healthy lifestyle. Prolonged restriction can lead to psychological pain and disordered eating habits which can last a lifetime. Most importantly, if you notice someone close to you practicing habits such as binge eating, please encourage them to seek professional help. These habits are physically and psychologically detrimental to the human body and spirit.  

3. Cutting food into tiny pieces to make it “last longer” or spitting out food after chewing it

Many who suffer from eating disorders or exhibit disordered tendencies will cut their food into tiny pieces so that it will “last longer.” They will also chew their food for as long as possible so that they will not consume excessive calories. Although some proclaim these tactics help with individuals seeking to lose weight, they are often abused by those with EDs to restrict caloric intake and maintain obsessive control over their disorder. Some with EDs also spit out their food after chewing it. Individuals will eat something that “isn’t worth the calories” and proceed to spit it out so that they won’t gain unwanted extra weight. This is an obsessive tendency that ED sufferers will use to control their weight and appease their eating disorder. If you witness any of these practices, please speak up and confront the individual about these extremely disordered eating habits.

4. Obsession with the body’s size, shape, including referring to oneself as “fat” and “overweight” when that clearly isn’t so

Many, if not most, of those who suffer from eating disorders will refer to themselves as “fat” and obsess over their physical appearance. Many who fall prey to this psychological tendency have had extreme to moderate weight loss journeys and cannot come to terms with the progress they’ve made with their bodies. Some individuals have body dysmorphia issues and still believe they are the larger versions of themselves before, causing them to see the old version of themselves every time they look into the mirror. Some other common disordered signs also include pinching at loose skin, staring at oneself in mirrors for prolonged periods of time, and thinking about one’s physical appearance to the point of obsessing about it. When a person has an ED, their physical body will never be “good enough.” They only see their perceived flaws, which leads them to continue the cycle of deprivation, restriction, and self-hatred. If you encounter someone who exhibits these habits, reassure the individual of their self worth and speak positive and encouraging words over him or her. The journey to self-love is long and mentally draining, but you could be the light which leads an individual to seek treatment and love the body that they have been given.

If you recognize any of these disordered patterns in yourself or someone you love, please speak up; you could save someone’s life. Seeking professional help is not a sign of weakness, it’s the first step on the long road to recovery. Eating disorders are very real and they affect more people than you’d think. You can do your part in spreading ED awareness from February 26th to March 4th by participating by #NEDAwareness Week online, using the hashtag to show support and solidarity for those who currently suffer from or have suffered from eating disorders. At Saint Mary’s, you can participate in Love Your Body Week from February 26th to March 3rd and attend the amazing, body-positive events that are planned. You have the power to help someone choose life and self-love over a lifetime of deprivation and suffering.

References:

Signs of eating disorders — Timberline Knolls

http://www.timberlineknolls.com/eating-disorder/signs-effects/

National Eating Disorder Awareness Week

http://nedawareness.org/

Stats on Eating Disorders

https://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/general-statistics

Ashley Hovorka

Saint Mary's

Native Chiburbian. Fitness enthusiast. My life can be summed up with the hashtag #TallGirlProblems.
Claire Condon

Saint Mary's

I think in Instagram captions.