Hidden Gems in Florida

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

*by Susana Guerrero

As summer is soon approaching, I know we are all eager to go places where the sun shines brighter, and the grass is greener. As a native of Florida, the place where most of you vacation, I wanted to give you a few insider tips to make the best out of your vacation with less money.

The Disney Experience

It is not unusual for people to think of Disney when they think of visiting Orlando, but tickets can cost from $150 to $200, and I know as college students that might not be what you want to hear; but that is why I’m here, to let you know of an awesome way you can have the Disney experience without having to drain your bank account. Disney Springs is the way to go!! Earlier called Downtown Disney gives you a wide variety of things to do without having to spend all that money. You can walk around and look at the beautiful architecture, and as you turn a new corner you might encounter performers or even a cute guy playing a “Rolling piano” around Disney Springs. After a day of walking, and maybe even shopping at the beautiful stores you can find there, you can have dinner at a themed restaurant, or even go for some Blaze Pizza. After filling your tummy, you can get on the free Disney bus and go to one of the Disney hotels, from where you will be able to see the beautiful firework show at Magic Kingdom.

Visit one of the beautiful beaches

There is nothing more beautiful than Florida beaches. The refreshing blue water (THE OCEAN NOT A LAKE) on a hot summer day, and the feeling of the sand in your toes is the most iconic summer experience you can get. Also nothing better than coming back to cloudy South Bend with a fresh tan.There are multiple beaches you can go to but some of my favorite ones are Ponce Inlet, New Smyrna Beach, and Cocoa Beach.

Visit one of the many State Parks, or any of the Springs.

Some of these beautiful places often go by unnoticed by tourists, but they are some of the most beautiful and relaxing places I’ve ever gone to. From manatee viewing, to swimming and even scuba diving visiting these places will give you an experience you would’ve never imagined, and if you’re lucky enough you might even be able to see a manatee as you’re swimming through the springs.

Some of the most beautiful are Blue Springs State Park (top), and Devil’s Den (bottom).

I know pre-finals week can be stressful, but we’re almost there belles! You can do it! 

Colleen Zewe

Saint Mary's '18

I love fall, holidays, PSLs and forcing my dog to take pictures with me for Snapchat.