This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

“Welcome to the sisterhood!” my sister Hannah, Saint Mary’s class of 2016 squealed at me as I had just come home after my high school graduation. Hannah requested some alone time with me in my room before the hoopla of the family party started. She teared up as she told me that having her little sister become a part of the Saint Mary’s sisterhood was the best thing she could ever ask for. I didn’t always want to come to Saint Mary’s. I thought I wanted something big: a name people back home in Florida would recognize and be impressed by. I wanted to be impressive. I had forgotten that the most impressive thing I had ever witnessed was right in front of me: the college experience of my own sister and who she had become.

About a year and a half ago, I was having one of those typical sentimental life-conversations with my sister. She had recently graduated college, moved into an apartment with an incredibly desirable view of the New York City skyline, and came back to Florida occasionally to grace us with her presence. So I asked her, as she was packing up to head back to the city “Hannah, where’s home?” She answered, “Honestly Deirdre, home is Saint Mary’s College”. It seems cheesy written out, but I knew she was genuine. The way she gushed about her classes, the way she missed her friends when she was on breaks, and the way every other Instagram post was of her class ring: I’ve never seen anyone so passionate about their school before. I wanted that same passion. I wanted to be a Belle. Not to be the annoying little sister who copies her sister’s every move (which I’ll admit-I was that girl the first 10 years of my life), but because I witnessed something amazing happen to her. She was smarter, stronger, more confident, and more faith-filled than ever before. She was fearless in seizing the opportunities presented to her. She prioritized her faith and the people she loves. She had always been wonder woman to me, but since graduating from Saint Mary’s-she’s unstoppable. She’s the most impressive person I know. She’s a belle. Every belle I meet is impressive.

I’ve officially been a belle for three weeks now. I haven’t seen my family, Florida sunshine, or Publix. I cried my last night at home, but I laughed my first night in the dorm. My big sister may not be in the dorm with me, but I have two “sisters” living with me. And 28 more in the hallway. And hundreds more on campus. If it wasn’t for the sisterhood, I probably would have boarded the first Allegiant flight back to Florida the minute I saw that it was 50 degrees in September. Whether it was a senior assisting me while I locked myself out of the room (thanks Allie) or becoming best friends with girls I’ve known for a week, Saint Mary’s has given me something beyond the education advertised in the brochures. I never thought I would enjoy going to class in college. I never imagined feeling at home a thousand miles away from my hometown. Yes, Hannah, the co-founder of this very Her Campus chapter has been by my side since May 5, 1998 and showed me what sisterhood means-but she also showed me the Saint Mary’s sisterhood- something I would have never found without her. I can’t wait to have matching SMC rings with my big sissy, but I also can’t wait to have matching rings with all of my sisters: my belles of 2021.

Just an indecisive, first-year belle trying to discover the universe and her place in it.
Allie Royce

Saint Mary's '18

Hope you find my work relatable and humorous.