This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

A professor once told me “It is not about WHAT you debate, it’s HOW.”

I love politics and there is nothing I enjoy more than a fun discussion or debate, however, debates have become uncivilized. When did discussions turn into a cussing match? When did giving your educated opinion become attacking someone? Also, don’t be naïve, your use of language, grammar, and spelling all matter, especially on social media. If you don’t know how to write or speak in proper English, close that Facebook thread and open a thesaurus. No matter what side of the political spectrum you align with, you are better than participating in a classless, petty yelling contest. Don’t fall into the trap. If you’re like me then you love to debate but remember these points before your next round.

Don’t apologize

“If you stand for nothing, you’ll fall for anything.” Alexander Hamilton

-Do not be afraid to be proud of the ideology you stand for. Don’t ever be embarrassed you believe in something so much, you’re willing to defend it. If you’re passionate enough, take your stance and don’t be ashamed to express it. If someone has a problem with you because of your unapologetic views, well, that’s there personal issue. Unless they sleep next to you at night or sign your paychecks, their opinions of you are irrelevant.

Facts. Facts. Facts.

– “Facts don’t care about your feelings.” Ben Shapiro

In a political debate or discussion, feelings and emotions will never be superior to actual facts. Use facts, logic and research as often as you can. Refer to articles, books, and interviews when you are having a discussion. Obviously none of us know everything; so don’t be embarrassed to say you no longer have knowledge of the topic at hand when the debate goes further. However, if you engage in a debate, try to know your facts and be ready to pull them out at a moment’s notice.

Debate to learn

“For good ideas and true innovation, you need human interaction, conflict, argument, debate.” Margaret Heffernan

-While debates can get nasty and attitudes can shift, you will enjoy a debate more if you think of it as a learning experience. When you hear yourself defending your ideals, it can help you reaffirm why you believe them. When you’re having a discussion with someone else, especially with someone who holds opposing viewpoints, take the time to understand what they are saying. Even if you strongly disagree with them, this will better help you understand the opposing side and it can even assist you in creating a stronger rebuttal.

Stay classy

“Class isn’t just something you attend”

-It’s sad to say but don’t think for one minute that just because someone is your friend or family member, they will not be immature in their language. Politics, especially during this election year, has become a sensitive subject with many people. If political science is your major keep in mind that not everyone has studied and completed research in this area like you have. Therefore, not everyone may have as deep of an understanding in political theory or American political development the way you and your classmates do. Often times someone will take you using facts as opposed to emotion, as being rude and they may reply with barbarity. When discussion gets immature and frivulous, do not let that intimidate you. Stay classy in your arguments because if you respond with class when they react with elementary level insults, they just make themselves look foolish. Also, if this is occurring on social media, think how it will make you look if a future or current employer sees you channeling your inner Jackie O. when dealing with such nonsense.

When personal attacks occur, it’s time for you to leave

– “If they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left.” Margaret Thatcher

When someone replies to your argument with personal attacks then smile- you’ve won. If the only thing someone can say after you have used facts and logic to defend your argument is a derogatory phrase, they have clearly ran out of anything intelligent to say. When personal attacks are thrown, don’t contribute. Do not lower your intelligence to level with theirs. Make one last statement and drop the mic. If someone wants to play dirty, then let them sit in the mud alone. You have better things to do.

Spark notes: Know your facts, stay classy and keep decorum in mind. Don’t be afraid to make it known that you refuse to respond to slander because personal attacks have NO place in a proper debate.

“A lion doesn’t lost sleep over the opinions of sheep” George R.R. Martin

Christina Herrera is a college senior, majoring in political science at Saint Mary's with a minor in Constitutional Studies from the University of Notre Dame. She loves Hallmark movies, traveling, and Starbucks coffee.
Claire Condon

Saint Mary's

I think in Instagram captions.