This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

Turn in your midterm papers and pack your bags because spring break is finally here. Before you check everything off your packing list, I have one last thing for you to add.

Coconut Oil!

Transitioning from polar South Bend to tropical Gulf Shores can take a toll on your skin. Nevertheless, I have the cure for your dry skin (and just about every other treatment you can think of). In fact, after you have a taste of the “tree of life” (name given to the coconut tree in Southeast Asia, India, and the Philippines) you won’t be able to go back to your old moisturizer. Coconut oil is not only used for cooking. This natural oil is also a holistic medicine and beauty treatment. It’s energizing and moisturizing components are life changing.

Coconut oil has several benefits. Here’s a few for you to consider:

• Balances hormones

• Kills candida

• Improves digestion

• Moisturizes skin

• Reduces cellulite

• Decreases wrinkles

• Balances blood sugar

• Burns fat

• Improves energy

(Dr. Axe on Coconut Oil)

Skin Moisturizer. A little goes a long way. When coconut oil is in its jar and at room temperature it is solid, but when you rub it in your hands, it will quickly melt. Warm the oil up in your hand then rub over your face. It will absorb quickly, but if the oil bothers you, dab your face with a washcloth five minutes after application. This is a great nightly routine.  

Makeup Remover. Rub a small dollop of coconut oil over your eyelids to remove eye makeup. Afterward, dab your eye with a warm washcloth.  In an instant, makeup will wash away. This beats store bought makeup wipes because of the oil’s hydrating qualities.

Sunburn Remedy. This will be especially useful over spring break. Generously apply coconut oil to your skin after a long day in the sun. Coconut oil can calm the pain of sunburn and speed up the healing process.

Natural Throat Lozenge. If you can muster the willpower to do this one, the results are worth it. Swallow one half to one teaspoon of coconut oil two times a day to cure a sore throat or bad cough.

Lip Balm. Chapped lips? Apply a small amount of coconut oil to soothe your dry lips.

Hair Conditioner. In the shower, starting with the ends of your hair, work one to two tablespoons of coconut oil into your hair. This will help to strengthen and condition hair.

Substitute to creamer for your coffee. Adding a spoonful of coconut oil to your coffee can give you an extra boost of energy. Putting the coffee and coconut oil in the blender will add a creamy richness to the consistency.

Coconut oil can be purchased at your grocery store or drugstore. Don’t be intimidated by its location in the grocery store. The same coconut oil you use for cooking can be used on your skin.

So, go purchase your own jar of coconut oil before boarding your flight out of this cold, dry, Midwest misery.

I'm always looking for a fun time, good food, and happy people. If I happen to walk by a wedding, I'm going to crash it.
Claire Condon

Saint Mary's

I think in Instagram captions.