All The Single Ladies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

It’s that time of year again: National Single Awareness Day is upon us. As each cold and slightly bitter February day passes I can smell the fresh box of Russel Stover chocolates and self loathe hurling at me faster than I can handle. As someone who has been single for 99.9% of her life (the .1% belonging to my imaginary Aaron Carter relationship circa 2002), I can relate to all you fellow lonely hearts club members out there. While the over-sized teddy bears and endless façade of smiling couples drown our insta, I have decided to not wallow this year. Rather you will find me taking the day to feel #blessed. Because in case you forgot, the most important relationship you have is with yourself! As DJ Khaled would say, MAJOR KEY = TREAT YO’ SELF. Can I get a BELLE YEAH!? One of the ways you will find me soaking up all the single lady feels on the big V-day is by watching some fierce movies. While rom coms can leave us in messy blanket burritos surrounded by endless piles of tissues, I say let’s change the game.  This year I’m going to watch movies that remind me how special it is to be a confident and independent woman. Join me in binge watching these leading ladies, who teach us that we don’t need no bae to be a Beyoncé.

JOY 2015

Even though I have not seen this personally, it is on my list of must-sees. Because let’s be real- J. Law’s roles can make a woman feel beyond confident  In fact, I heard from a little bird that this made her feel, “pretty fierce after watching it.” I think that’s an indicator that we should all go and enjoy this film about a self-reliant mother of two. Joy, the main character, takes her issues into her own hands and invents a product that can change her life completely. This, of course, is not without its ups and downs. On V-day you just might catch me watching this myself.

WHIP IT 2009

Okay this is one of my guilty pleasures. We get to follow high school senior, Bliss, through a new adventure of roller derby, romance with the SIZZLIN Landon Pigg (he sings, & I’m #swoonin’), drama, and ultimately a coming of age sense of independence. Bliss finds herself with an off the charts soundtrack, and on the road to self-discovery. This movie overall will make you start thinking about what your roller derby name could be…Maul McCartney is that you?!

GONE GIRL 2014

Okay let’s be real, if you have not seen or heard about this movie then you’re under a rock in the middle of the Sahara desert. The movie and book (double whammy!!) were huge and still are. If you have not seen this, grab a pint of ice cream, and sit down ASAP. This story will take you on a rollercoaster of emotion. The main characters are realistic, and badass. I promise this is not your typical plot line. The suspense is real when Nick Dunne’s wife goes missing. We are left to figure out if he killed her, and if not what happened to her?! I am telling you, this movie will change your life. It’s also shot in Cape Girardeau, Missouri. AKA shout out to my home state, ILY.

BRAVE 2012

In recent years, Disney has been on a fierce leading lady roll. Brave is probably the most rewarding princess movie that I have ever invested my time in. I have seen it dozens of times. Let me tell you, each time is better and makes you feel like you can do anything. Merida, a fierce Scottish princess, takes the cake on being the most liberated and independent cartoon character. She finds herself torn between wanting to be #single and having to submit to the suitors her father presents her. During this we get to see who Merida really is, and how special mother and daughter bond can be. Go on a digital adventure this Valentine’s day, I promise it will be worth it.

HEATHERS 1988

Two words: WINONA RYDER. If you do not know who this 90’s beaut is, then google her right now! Or you can google Johnny Depp’s tattoos and you may find her name scrawled across right shoulder. Let me tell you, this movie is a classic cult piece that y’all need to see. The movie follows Veronica, J.D. and her friends, the “heathers” through a series of murder, self-discovery, and comic relief. It’s witty, suspenseful, and quite honestly- weird in all the best ways. I promise it is worth every second of your time.

THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO 2011

Another movie that I have not seen, but have heard that it can a woman feel BA. Dive into this suspenseful film engulfed with murder, mystery, and an aurora of independent woman swag (I know, I can’t believe I said swag either, but if the shoe fits). To sum up why you should see this Freshman Caitey Sosnowski tells us, “…the main character Lisbeth Salander is super badass, is totally single and happy that way, and does all her own bidding.” P.S. this is also a book!

MARIE ANTOINETTE 2006

SEE THIS MOVIE PLEASE…or at least listen to the sound track. It’s a whole new level of cinematographic genius. This movie will drown you in the intense drama that Marie Antoinette and her crew. It depicts the choices and struggles a teenager had to face, all while being under the pressure of ruling a country. There is love, glamour, scandal, fashion, and beautiful acting all in 123 minutes. It may not be extremely factual, but a little tall tale never hurt the dead. With this movie you can have your cake and eat it too…. bad joke too soon?

STEEL MAGNOLIAS 1989

This was my mother and I’s go to girls night movie. This film will give you all the feels that immense friendship evokes. The story follows the lives of a group of friends throughout a few years, and the trials that they each face. Their lives change and tragedies are inevitable. But the constant through it all is their unbreakable bond. Steel Magnolias will give introduce emotions to you that you never thought a movie could give you. It’s a tearjerker, but in all the best ways.  I suggest watching this with some chocolate chip cookies and a box of kleenex.

BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY’S 1961

I used to dream of living in Holly Golightly’s world. Well honestly- I would dream about being any of Audrey Hepburn’s characters. The films captures a snapshot of how you can never really predict where your life will land. Holly Golightly finds herself in an eccentric world of handsome dates, glamorous jewelry, and an adventure of self-discovery. This aesthetically pleasing film, has earned its way into the national film treasury, and into our hearts. So grab some pearls (faux or not), and

CLUELESS 1995

As if watching this was a no brainer! This 90’s cult movie will take you into the world of wealth, coming of age, and the awkward phase we call high school. Cher, a very privileged sophomore in high school, finds herself being subconsciously changed, for the better. She goes on comical adventures, faces teenage angst, and faces the biggest issue she knows: boys. Watch Cher grow into herself, and become a good model of independence.

WAITRESS 2007

Chances are you have no idea what this film is, due to it being extremely under advertised. This film takes you to the south, and into the life of a married waitress, Jenna. All she wants is to open pie business, but her life it literally at a standstill. Everything changes when she finds herself pregnant. I should also mention that her husband is complete douchebag, whom she rightfully hates. All of a sudden, a new and very handsome doctor moves to town. He turns her world upside down. Jenna grows with confidence, and starts to value her own life more now that a child is on its way. I 100% suggest this movie, if you are looking for a strong female lead that reflects absolute independence in its full glory.

freshman @smc / my life is a musical minus the vocal talent / chances are i'm thinking about my dogs at any given moment / p.s. if you don't like my words, maybe you'll like my instagram: teresabrickey ( hashtag smooth)
Therese Burke

Saint Mary's