Why Rooming with Your Best Friend is the Best Decision

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

I am lucky enough to say that I have had the same two best friends since I was 4 years old.  We met in Kindergarten and continued to go to the same school until 8th grade. Once we entered high school, we originally attended three different schools. However, a year a part was way too much!  By sophomore year, we all ended up in the same school. When it came time to apply for colleges we all went on college tours together and ended up falling in love with the same college, too! Once it became time to pick our roommates, everyone said, “Don’t live with your best friend, you’re going to end up not being friends anymore”.  Of course, we didn’t listen, and good thing we didn’t!  Here are the top 10 reasons of why living with your best friend can be the best decision you could ever make:

1. You’re already comfortable with each other.

Living with your best friend from home is great because you never have to go through that awkward “getting to know you” stage. You’re already comfortable with each other, so when you do weird things, it’s already acceptable. You don’t have to test the waters on whether or not your roommate is going to tell everyone you put ketchup in your mac and cheese or wear the same bra for weeks at a time.

2. You don’t have to worry about having nothing to wear, because you have 2-3 other closets to look through.

Sometimes people are weird with sharing clothes. If your best friend(s) are your roommates, you never have to worry about them not wanting to swap closets or them stealing your clothes. What’s yours is there’s and vice versa! And you can always count on them to tell when your outfit is just not on point.

3. You can have two times the friends!

My best friends and I are in different sororities, and have different majors. Since we’re best friends with similar interests and personalities, we’re most likely going to like/attract the same type of people. I introduced them to my friends, and they introduced theirs to me, and we formed way more connections then we would have by ourselves.

4. You don’t have to worry about having a nightmare of a roommate.

When entering freshman year of college, you always hear horror stories of people having terrible roommate experiences. I remember my freshman year, one of my good friends actually walked in on her roommate smelling her clothes. When you live with your best friend, things like this can be avoided.

5. You never have to worry about being too messy or too neat.

When you room with your best friend, they know what kind of person you are already. When you’re friends with someone as long as I have been with my best friends, you’ve practically grown up with them. They already know if you’re a messy person or if you’re a neat freak, so there’s no need to worry about them complaining to the R.A. about you’re cleaning habits.

6. You always have a familiar face when you need someone to talk to.

The transition to college isn’t easy, however, transitioning with you’re best friend by your side helps a lot. They know how different it is from home. They understand the struggle of not having the local bagel store around the corner or not being able to go tanning everyday like you’re used to.

7. You never have to worry about running out of food or water.

When you room with your best friend you buy things for the room as a whole, not as an individual. If you feast, you feast together, and if you starve, you starve together. You never have to worry about you’re roommate being stingy with their food, because you go shopping together.

8. Going home is that much easier.

If you room with your best friend and you both want to go home for the weekend, you always have someone to hitch a ride with. You never have to worry about being stranded at school because you’re from the same area!

9. You never have to worry about being left behind at a party.

When you go out to a frat party and have a little too much to drink, you can always trust that your best friend is going to be there to take care of you and make sure you make it back in your bed at the end of the night. You always have another set of eyes to watch your back, a person to stop you from hooking up with that one guy, and a person to hold your hair back at the end of the night.

10. You’re able to make even more memories together.

Going to the same school as your best friend is amazing because you don’t have to wait until you’re both home to the share memories you made at college; you’ll be making them together. College is supposed to be the best four years of your life, and rooming with your best friend gives you the opportunity to make them apart of those four amazing years. You never miss a beat and you never have to feel like you’re alone because you always have your best friend by your side from the moment you wake up to the moment you fall asleep!

Media Studies major with a concentration in Journalism and Public Relations. Ariana is involved in the Theater Arts Program and Kappa Delta sorority! She is also a loyal costumer at Chipotle as well as Burger King.
Laura Lampert

Sacred Heart

Laura is a Communications Studies major with a concentration in Digital Marketing/PR.  Campus Correspondent at Sacred Heart, overly-involved, and always five minutes late with an iced coffee.