Things You Didn’t Know About the New First Lady

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

Up until the announcement of her husband’s candidacy for President, Melania Trump had managed to keep a pretty low profile. Unlike other spouses of major politicians, she had been mostly absent from the campaign trail, and has stayed relatively apolitical in the media. The bombshell beauty has been gracing the covers of magazines for years, but for many Americans, last month’s inauguration was their first introduction to the now First Lady of the United States. Here are five things you should know about your new FLOTUS.

1. She’s the Second Foreign Born First Lady.

Melania Trump is the first foreign born first lady since Louisa Adams, John Quincy Adams’ wife. She was born in 1970 in a small town in Slovenia when it was still a part of Yugoslavia. Her father was a traveling salesman, while her mother was in the fashion industry. After Slovenia’s separation, it was possible for the family to open their own business, selling bicycle and car parts. While she is an immigrant herself, she has defended her husband’s hardline stance on immigration. She told MSNBC in February 2016, “I never thought to stay here without papers…I went by the system.”

2. She’s a Successful Model.

At age 17, while studying architecture and design at university, Melania was discovered by a major fashion photographer. She would soon leave school, move to Milan, and then Paris to pursue her modeling career full-time. She moved to New York City in 1996. Over the years she has been featured various European publications, as well as Sports Illustrated, GQ and Vogue. Working as an international model has allowed her to become fluent in five languages.

3. How She Met Donald.

Melania is President Trump’s third wife. The two met in 1998 at a party in Manhattan. He approached her, asking for her number even though he was with a date. Knowing his reputation as a playboy, she refused, but asked him for his number so she could be the one to call. After dating for five years, they became engaged, and would marry in 2005. They say they have excellent chemistry, and claim to have never once been in an argument.

4. She Won’t Be Moving to the White House…For Now.

Mrs. Trump will not be moving to the White House with her husband until her son has finished the school year in New York. Barron Trump,10 years old, is Melania’s only son with President Trump. She has also expressed that her absence from the campaign trail was due to her desire to be at home with her son, and to keep life for him as normal as possible. She is very protective of Barron, and has done well keeping him out of the spotlight.

5. Her Cause.

Traditionally, First Ladies have used their time in the White House to bring attention to a cause for which they are passionate about. Although Melania has not revealed her chosen cause yet, we can guess it may have something to do with children. She has expressed that children are the future, and it is our responsibility to support, encourage, and guide them. In the past she has done work with the Make A Wish Foundation, and other charities involving children.

Laura Lampert

Sacred Heart

Laura is a Communications Studies major with a concentration in Digital Marketing/PR.  Campus Correspondent at Sacred Heart, overly-involved, and always five minutes late with an iced coffee.