Small Vs. Large College Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

There are tons of decisions to make when it comes to education after high school, and one of the biggest ones involves the size of your college campus. You may want something completely different than what you’re used to, or you might want to stay in your comfort zone; it is all up to you. To help you decide- here is a side-by-side comparison of small and large college campuses. Hopefully by the time you finish reading, you will know what size is the best fit for you! 

Class Size 

If you decide that a small college campus is the best fit for you, you will have the privilege of also having small classes. This is perfect if you need undivided attention in certain subjects. You are not just a number, and you can form relationships with your classmates. Forming relationships in class can lead to study groups, advice on a class discussion, and maybe even a more efficient work ethic! If a larger college campus seems like the best option, you will undoubtedly take several of your classes with hundreds of other students in a large lecture hall. The professor won’t know your name, and you can be under the radar. This is a great fit for those who do not like to participate often and/or excel by observing. Learning in a large group works better for some! 

VS.

Faculty 

Along with class size, professors are guaranteed to know your name by the end of syllabus week if you go small. Professors on small college campus dedicate themselves to making sure each of their students understand the lecture 100%. If you do not understand something in class, professors are open to office hours. They will go through every step of what you don’t understand in hopes that you ace your next exam! At large universities, you might have well-known professors teaching your classes. These teachers will not stop to repeat anything, so this might be the best option for fast-paced learners who thrive in a quick environment. Also, instead of professors having office hours, teaching assistants (TA’s) are available to assist you with any questions or concerns. 

Sports 

Athletics at small college campuses aren’t much different from that of large college campuses! Although there may not be large sports stadiums, you could still be cheering from the sidelines with your closest friends. Bonus- you will probably know most of the people in the stands as well! Even though small college campuses are much more low-key, they have an array of intramural and club sports to keep you occupied. Athletics at a large college campus are high energy and tons of fun! High-profile players and cheerleaders will storm the campus, and there will always be ways to support your team; in specific, pep rallies and homecoming. This is perfect for sports fans, or those who just love the environment! Large campuses also have club sports and intramurals. 

VS.

Social Life 

Getting involved, at both a small or large college campus, can help you form life-long friendships and connections. However, if you are close to a city or town, go explore! This can help expand your horizons and learn new things about your home away from home. In college, socializing is what you make of it! Small campuses have a community feel immediately, but at a large college campus, getting involved and joining clubs and extracurricular activities can make it feel like a second home. Once you form tight-knit relationships, even the largest colleges can feel small. 

Figure out what your best fit is? No worries if you didn’t! No matter what type of college you attend, it is guaranteed that you will make the best memories and find a second home. Every college, no matter how big or small, is there to teach you things about yourself that you never knew before. Such as how big you like your class, or how late you can roll out of bed and still get to your 8am class. So go ahead and explore. There is so much out there to see!

Nina Lauria

Sacred Heart

Nina is a Biology major with a Chemistry minor on the Physician's Assistant track. She has always loved medicine just as much as fashion and blogging. Nina hopes to one day concentrate in Pediatric Oncology and help find a cure for cancer!
Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart '24

The official contributor profile for the Her Campus chapter at Sacred Heart.