SHU Dance Company Presents “Fall/Rise”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

As finals are slowly approaching, many of us are looking for ways to take our minds off of studying. What better way to procrastinate than to go to the fall/RISE Dance Company show?! The Dance Company is under the direction of Kari Williams and includes a variety of Sacred Heart students.

The show was named fall/RISE because it is a symbolic journey of the Dance Company. As quoted by the director Ms. Williams, “The dance company has become in a very short period of time, a source of energy and artistry for dancers that want a conservatory experience without having to major in dance.”  This is a unique opportunity that was not previously obtainable for those in the dance company.  She also mentioned how the show is not just focused on the dances, but there is also a documentary of the senior dancers which explains their dance journey and where they are today.

Now you may be asking yourself, “What types of dance should I expect to see in the show?” The dances on stage are from many different styles of dance including Traditional Hoofing Tap dance, Classical & Contemporary Ballet & Pointe Variations, Jazz, Heels, Hip Hop, and Modern Dance.  But wait, THERE’S MORE! If you attend the Friday night performance you will get the opportunity to see a live musician along with live dance painting on stage!

One of Ms.Williams’s favorite parts about the show is that all of the performances together have created a portrait of the community that the dance company has created this past year. She knows that this performance will help shape what the dance company is in the eyes of the Sacred Heart community. She would like to thank the dedicated, creative, insightful students, artists, choreographers and assistants that surround and support her in this wonderful community of SHU dance.

If you decide to stop by fall/RISE the show dates are Friday, April 21 at 7pm and Saturday, April 22 at 2pm. The show is free for all SHU students with SHU card. Don’t miss out on this awesome show; I know I will be there!

Brooke McCarthy

Sacred Heart '19

Brooke McCarthy '19 History Major Future Teacher  
Laura Lampert

Sacred Heart

Laura is a Communications Studies major with a concentration in Digital Marketing/PR.  Campus Correspondent at Sacred Heart, overly-involved, and always five minutes late with an iced coffee.