Outfit Ideas for New Year’s Eve

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

While the New Year is approaching, it’s time to start thinking about the changes you want to make for the upcoming year to be a better version of yourself. It’s key to start off the year on a good note; going into the New Year feeling excited, confident, and determined to make 2018 the best year this far. The perfect New Years Eve outfit could be just the thing you need to start the year off right. Look good, feel good, right?! Here are a few of the hottest trends this season to give you some ideas to perfect your outfit for the big night.

Over the Knee Boots

To start off the year looking good, and feeling better, what better way to do this than wearing a stand out shoe? Over the knee boots can be worn with any outfit. They come in a variety of colors including black, gray, and even suede to match perfectly. Whether it’s a dress, or a simple pair of denim jeans, wearing this for footwear will be sure to be just the piece you need to complete your perfect outfit.

These ones are from Target!  

Velvet, Velvet, Velvet

One of this year’s biggest statement pieces was velvet. Whether it’s a skirt, shirt, dress, or two-piece outfit, the metallic look this soft fabric gives off will be sure to have you standing out. It’s easy to dress up or dress down one of these items with certain accessories such as shoes or a jacket.

This bodysuit is from Victoria’s Secret!

Little Black Dress

The little black dress in any HC Girl’s closet is the perfect outfit choice for just about any occasion, so why not NYE?! It’s easy to make this simple piece unique to you by adding a signature statement piece including a layered choker necklace, a colored shoe, or whatever it may be that will set you apart from everyone else in the room this year! You can’t go wrong with wearing your LBD to start off this year perfectly!

This one is from Lulus.com!

Black Leather

When all else fails, the go-to black leather jacket is a must. Not only is this piece super stylish, but it will keep you warm as you take on the winter chill during the start of the new year. It is so easy to pair a black leather jacket with black jeans or a skirt and a fun colored heel for your night out! Add some accessories, grab your favorite lipstick and you will be all ready to hit the town this NYE!

This one is from Forever 21!

Gingham

2017 brought us some of the best trends in quite some time. One style that stood out the most this year was gingham! Why not start off the new year sporting this statement pattern! When paired with simple colors such as black or white, this pattern is guaranteed to stand-out, just like this upcoming year.

This smocked top is from Urban Outfitters!

Sequined Rompers

If you’re looking for a more dressed up look, but you don’t want to lose your sparkle, then add some sequins to your NYE outfit! NYE is always the perfect excuse to wear sparkles and sequins so shine as bright as the NYE ball in Times Square!

This one is from Tobi!

Gold Sparkles

Let’s be real when you think of NYE, you think of sparkles. The more, the better. There are a few holidays that you can get away with wearing as much glitter as you want. However, this one allows you to wear as much as you want without any hesitation at all. If you’re looking to stand out and truly shine this year for NYE, this is the look for you!!

Off the Shoulder Shirts & Jean Skirts

Over the course of this past year, I think it’s safe to say that every college girl has acquired enough jean skirts and off the shoulder shirts to fill her own closet, and her roommates! If you are stumped on what to wear to ring in the new year, find the perfect combination of these two pieces and you’ll be good to go! Wearing an all black version of this outfit is perfect for either a casual or a more formal occasion! You can’t go wrong!

I hope you find this fashion inspo for NYE helpful! Let’s ring in the new year in HC style!

Ciara Swan

Sacred Heart '19

Ciara Swan is a senior at Sacred Heart University. She is an Exercise Science, Pre-Physical Therapy major. She aspires to be a Pediatric Physical Therapist one day. Ciara has been a part of HerCampus for three years, formerly fulfilling the position of Secretary for her chapter on campus. She is a member of Chi Omega where she served as Secretary. A coffee in the morning and a good laugh are a necessity in every one of her days.
Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart '24

The official contributor profile for the Her Campus chapter at Sacred Heart.