etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

New Year’s Resolutions that are Easy to Keep

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

It’s finally 2018! With each new year we try our hardest to promise ourselves we will improve the way we live. The problem in keeping these promises is setting the bar too high and forgetting the importance of resolutions. Simple resolutions that are attainable but also improve our lives are the key to success in the new year. Here are a few easy resolutions you may have to add to your list. 

o Be organized and plan ahead. 

Clearly outlining things you NEED to remember, whether it’s the big test you have in the near future or your best friend’s birthday that you always seem to forget, it’s SO helpful to already have it written down. A planner is not overrated when we all have 1000 things to remember. Knowing when you are busy and when you are available also shows people you somewhat have your life together. 

o Make time for yourself. 

The stresses of college and life take over and sometimes we forget to breathe. There is time to take a moment out of your day to refocus on yourself to address your wellbeing, what drives you forward, and what you are passionate about. Reconnecting with yourself allows for reflection and a clearer mindset. 

o Try something new. 

When new opportunities arise we should take advantage of them. Trying new foods, seeking potential networking connections, or maybe approaching problems in a new way. Some easy ways to start are joining new clubs, volunteering, or attempting challenges that are out of your comfort zone. 

o Educate yourself outside of schoolwork. 

Watch the news, read books that aren’t your textbooks and simply educate yourself in aspects of the world that interest you. Learning about something other than school can take your mind on a mini vacation where you willingly expand your thoughts. 

o Spend less time with your phone. 

Admit it, you spend way too much unhealthy time using your phone. Think about everything you miss and all the time you waste updating yourself on what everyone else is doing. Try limiting the time you get to spend behind the screen and you will be happier you’re the one living life on someone else’s screen. 

o Save money. 

Being in college, we need to be wise with the money we spend. Instead of buying a coffee everyday think about saving money and making your own. Instead of spending too much on makeup or clothes, stop and ask yourself if you really need this. Be conservative. Plan out a weekly or monthly budget you can follow in order to manage your spending. 

o Find healthy alternatives to bad habits. 

Without realizing it, there are many personal aspects of our lives we can modify to better ourselves. Some of us struggle with going to bed before midnight and others find it hard to stick to a healthier diet. Depending upon the person, we all can strive to fix the bad habits we always wish we could change. Take responsibility and initiative for your actions and reward yourself when you follow through with the needed change. It takes 21 days of consistency to make a bad habit into a good one. 

New year, new me they say. It is possible to make resolutions you can stick to when you first, realize what you should change and second, make realistic goals. 2018 is full of possibilities for those who gladly take on the challenge of bettering themselves.

Analisa Cruz

Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart '24

The official contributor profile for the Her Campus chapter at Sacred Heart.