New Sorority On Campus: Delta Zeta

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

Delta Zeta: The Transformation

For anyone not involved in Greek life on campus, there is a new sorority on the block! Delta Zeta is currently in the process of colonizing, which translates to recruiting sisters to begin their new chapter. Though Delta Zeta is our newest sorority on campus, some of its founding members are not. Delta Zeta is the transformation that Kappa Phi has made going from a locally recognized to nationally recognized sorority. Founding member Laura Vero shares,“Delta zeta is unique from any of the other sororities on campus because we’re all here to leave our legacy. What we’re going through while colonizing is unlike any other Greek life experience here at SHU at the moment. We’re unique and different in being the new sorority on campus, and we’re here to make a name for ourselves. I feel so proud to be a part of this journey and couldn’t imagine myself anywhere else other than Delta Zeta.” With this being said, the sisters of Kappa Phi are more than excited to make this transformation and welcome new girls into their chapter! Recruitment has been happenign all week, and the girls are getting anxious to welcome their sisters on bid day this weekend!

You’ve probably seen these posters throughout the hallways this week– so cute!

Not only is Delta Zeta planning to leave a legacy, but they are also planning to enrich the community on and off campus. The Delta Zeta philanthropy is The Painted Turtle Camp, which aims to better the lives of many children in need. “The Painted Turtle Camp gives sick children the chance to go to camp with all of the medical attention they need right there with them,” explains Kaliyah Burris, another Delta Zeta founding member. A lot of the Delta Zeta sisters believe this is so important because it gives sick children an opportunity that they would not normally have. Sisters of Delta Zeta volunteer to help with certain activities at the camp and it becomes a heart-warming experience for both the children and Delta Zeta sisters. The sorority’s other philanthropy is speech and hearing. It is touching to hear about the impact sisters of Delta Zeta plan on making through their philanthropies.“This [philanthropy] captures my heart because I believe that all kids should feel loved. We, as Delta Zetas, tutor children with speech and hearing challenges, and we host fundraising events that help supply hearing equipment. In addition to this, we have partnerships with the Starkey Hearing Foundation and Gallaudet University. My favorite part of all of this is the fact that, for every child, there is a “Build-A-Bear” specially made with a hearing aid. I absolutely love our philanthropy and am so touched that it can warm the heart of a young child,” says Burris.

Delta Zetas, Kristen Chacho and Brianna White

In joining Delta Zeta, the newly recruited sisters this weekend will also become founding members of this sorority. As founding members, these girls plan on inspiring the SHU community and making Delta Zeta known for their service and legacy. The transformation that the sorority has undergone through their colonizing/recruitment process has been one to set standards for the future of Delta Zeta. Overall, the 29 founding sisters that make up Delta Zeta have became closer than ever through this process and have thoroughly enjoyed meeting potential new members and sharing their love of Delta Zeta with everyone! “To be finally colonizing on campus is an exciting journey. We are honored to be going through this experience as founding sisters and leaving a life long legacy at Sacred Heart. Colonization has been a long but rewarding journey, and it is only going to grow from here. We are excited that we started this significant journey and are determined to show how wonderful Delta Zeta really is,” says Nichole Frederick, founding member and President of Delta Zeta. Another founding member, Lisa Matrale, adds, “Joining Delta Zeta has made me feel as though I am a part of a bigger picture. I am no longer just one person who is only concerned with what I am doing or where I am going. I have become an important part of a larger, driving force dedicated to sisterhood, friendship, philanthropy, service and concern for others. It’s a great place to be!”

Some of Delta Zeta’s founding members representing DZ!

SHU wishes all of Delta Zeta luck in their colonization process and we can’t wait to see the splash you girls make on campus!

Colleen O'Melia

Sacred Heart

Colleen O'Melia is a senior at Sacred Heart University. She is an English major with a concentration in Writing. Aside from being the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Sacred Heart, she is President of Sacred Heart's Education Club, volunteers at a local schools, and mentors young students.