College Is What You Make Of It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

College can be one of the scariest and yet, most exciting parts of your life. It’s time to say goodbye to home and say hello to a preview of the rest of your life. Crazy! And the freedom, knowledge, and experience that come with these 4 years are all up to you. College can be anything you want it to be. 

During the week everyone seems to be hectically trying to get homework done, study for exams, all the while trying to get to the gym. Or you have those students that are laying in bed- 4 seasons deep in a Netflix show they started yesterday. There is no inbetween. Time management, as you can probably tell, is therefore something a lot of people struggle with. Especially since people’s lives can change at any given moment. One week you are the lazy girl who hasn’t changed out of her t-shirt in three days, and the next you are leading a business presentation that counts for 50% of your final grade. In any case, college is all about making yourself feel comfortable in your own schedule. If you know you can’t wake up before 10 a.m., try for afternoon and night classes. Like to get an early start to your day? 8a.m’s are your go to. My advice though? Beware the dreaded 8 a.m.’s, and make sure you are prepared for whatever schedule you choose.

When it comes to night life, everyone seems to have a bad case of FOMO. “You only get to do college once”!, “You’ll never get to live like this again”! I have heard every saying in the book. YES, go out with your girlfriends. Wear that cute top that will probably never fit you better than it does right now. Have one too many drinks every once in a while and dance like you are on tour with Taylor Swift and her squad, you deserve it! However, if you don’t have the crazy feeling to let loose and wear a crop top in 25 degree weather, don’t feel pressured to do it. Choose to stay in! Some of the best times at college happen when it’s 2 a.m. and you haven’t left your dorm because you and your friends are 20 episodes deep watching the Jersey Shore. You’ve gone through three rolls of cookie dough, and you just think to yourself that this is a night that you’ll never forget. Even if you are alone- facetime your friends or boyfriend from home. Maybe you can catch up on all the beauty sleep you didn’t get last week because you were swamped with work. College is about making the decisions that will ultimately make you happy. Which is something I am still learning to do now. Whether you are lazy OR crazy, don’t be afraid to do your own thing. 

Overall, college is about choices, and I wish someone had given me this advice before. These 4 years were made for you, and you will really never have another chance to do the things you can now. So do them! The choice is yours because college is what you make of it. If you don’t like how something is going- change it. You can do anything!

Meg Rice

Sacred Heart '19

Taylor Swift enthusiast, lover of caramel iced coffee, & sister of Zeta Tau Alpha at Sacred Heart University
Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart '24

The official contributor profile for the Her Campus chapter at Sacred Heart.