Benefits of a Brazilian Wax

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

Benefits of a Brazilian Wax

Oh yeah, we’re going there ladies. The Brazilian wax is one of the best changes I have made in my health and beauty regimen. Along with many of my teammates and friends, I have found that the Brazilian wax is a lot less scary than people think! When I first though about going, I was nervous about 2 things: 1. The pain, and 2. The fact that some stranger was going to be looking at my hoo-ha up close and personal. As a girl who has been waxing for over a year, I’m here to tell you all that the benefits of a Brazilian wax far out weigh the minimal pain of the experience.

Before I went to my first appointment, I thought it was going to be like Steve Carell in 40 Year Old Virgin screaming “Ahhh Kelly Clarkson!” Boy was I happy to be so wrong.

How long does the wax take?

My appointments take about 10 minutes on average. This includes arriving and checking in, getting waxed, and checking out. I am on the table for probably 5 minutes and my wax specialist does about 10 strips on me. It is not an hour ordeal that includes lots of anxiety. It’s quick and easy.

Now, let’s talk about the pain.

I have no tolerance for it, so I was very nervous about actually going through with it. The wax specialist pulls the strips off quickly and places their hand on the uncovered area (just like an eyebrow wax). Once she removes her hand, the stinging on your skin is gone. Each strip causes a stinging sensation for a couple seconds and then goes away. When you leave, you can do whatever you want for the rest of the day with no pain. I often workout right after my appointment. For girls who are just finished menstruating, they suggest taking an ibuprofen before the wax because your skin tends to be more sensitive (however, in my case, I was fine). Most people get anxious about the butt portion of the Brazilian wax. Many shy away from it without ever knowing that it is the most painless part! We’re talking almost no pain at all!

Up close and personal…

For those of you who are worried about someone getting that close to your hoo-ha, I can only tell you that I felt totally comfortable at each of my appointments. No one has ever commented or acted inappropriately towards me when I am being waxed. It actually makes me feel more confident and feminine. If you have any questions about how your skin is reacting to the wax, the wax specialists are knowledgeable and open to talking about it in a professional manner. They give me tips on how to make my waxed skin last longer, how to exfoliate properly, and much more.

I go to the European Wax Center in Fairfield, CT on Blackrock Turnpike. This company also has wax centers in Westport and other parts of the region. The thing I like about European Wax Center is that they specialize in waxing. At other salons, waxing is a service offered as well as nails, massages, facials, etc. Here, waxing is their only focus and it shows. Other waxing options are eyebrows, upper lip area, under arms, legs, and bikini line. Everything is for a great price. The Brazilian wax is only $40!

The benefits!

Most women get waxed once a month. Sometimes, depending on how well your skin reacts, it can last for 6 weeks. The first time you go, you cannot shave for 10-14 days before your first appointment. The wait is worth it, trust me. After your first couple of waxes the hair will grow back sparingly and thin. You will feel incredibly smooth with no razor bumps or rashes. Get it done right before Spring Break and have a smooth bikini line all week (and then some!). So give it a try! I have suggested Brazilian waxing to at least 5 of my friends and now they can’t even imagine going back to shaving!

Taylor Lane is a senior in the Sacred Heart University school of education. She majors in English and is a section editor for the school newspaper, Spectrum. She is a captain on the Division I Softball team. Taylor aspires to be a special education teacher and spends her free time volunteering in programs for people with special needs.