5 Reasons Why You NEED to Watch “This is Us”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

Unless you’ve been living under a rock, you’ve probably heard of the NBC show This Is Us. The show stars Milo Ventimiglia, Mandy Moore, Chrissy Metz, Justin Hartley, and two-time Emmy winner Sterling K. Brown. The show follows the Pearson family from the birth and adoption of the triplets in the 1980s, up to their adult life in present day.  If you aren’t already watching it, you definitely should be. Here are just a few reasons why: 

1. The siblings will remind you of you and your siblings.

The siblings, Kate, Kevin and Randall, all have a special chemistry between them despite Randall being adopted. The bond between the “Big Three” is a bond you’ll wish you and your siblings have if you don’t already.

2. It will leave you an emotional mess, in a good way!  

When going to watch an episode of This Is Us, be sure there is a box of tissues somewhere near. It’s nearly impossible to go an episode without shedding at least a single tear. Between all the ups and downs the family goes through, the show will leave you crying, waiting for the next episode. 

3. The show never sugar-coats anything.  

The show covers topics such as alcoholism, anxiety, death, racism and obesity through all the characters featured on the show. Many shows tend to shy away from hard topics like these, but This Is Us touches on all of them to show you that life isn’t always perfect.  

4. Jack and Rebecca show you that love isn’t always easy, but it’s worth it. 

From the very beginning of the series, the love story between Jack and Rebecca seems perfect. It’s a love everyone strives to have. Although, late in the first season they start to show that they’re not perfect and neither is their love. They go through their fights, but in the end, they always come back to one another. The show portrays the reality of relationships and that love is not a walk in the park. 

5. It teaches you that not all families are perfect, and that’s okay. 

As every family does, the Pearson family has their share of fights. They don’t always see eye to eye with one other on everything, and it is portrayed clearly in the show. If someone is going through something at home, it is comforting to turn on the TV and see that all families go through their own struggles, and they are not alone. 

Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart '24

The official contributor profile for the Her Campus chapter at Sacred Heart.