books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

10 Accurate Struggles of Finals Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

All college students have a love/hate relationship with finals week. It’s one of the most stressful times of the year because you know summer is right around the corner, and so it makes it that much harder to cram for all of your assignments and exams. This week consists of a lot of laughing (at just about anything because you’re so sleep deprived), crying, and an absurd amount of coffee. Here are 10 struggles of finals week every college student can relate to: 

1) Mini panick attacks when talking about assignments.

When someone says they are working on an assignment, you automatically wonder if you also have something due too…Which leads you to realize that you have a paper due tomorrow, and you have absolutely no idea what it is about. 

2) Trying to sound smart to your friends that you’re studying with. 

No one wants to be the only person in their study group who knows nothing. So even when you have no clue what’s going on, you pretend you do anyways. 

3) That moment when you realize you don’t remember anything that you learned before spring break. 

College students have a bad habit of only retaining information for an exam, and then immediately forgetting about it. This seems to work out just fine, that is, until you’re professor tells you that your final is going to be cumulative and you can’t remember anything from the beginning of the semester. 

4) You live off of caffeine, even more than usual. 

If you are anything like me, then caffeine is always a must-have- especially during finals week. Once it comes around you are consuming so much that you’re almost starting to feel delusional. All you know how to do is drink coffee, study, attempt to sleep, and repeat. 

5) The dreaded exam essay.

Everyone knows that frightening moment when you reach the essay portion of your exam. Most of the time it’s at the end, which means your brain is basically fried by the time you reach it. So you sit there and give yourself a mental pep talk and try to remember as much information as you can so you can at least write something down. 

6) When your professor puts information on the exam that wasn’t on the study guide. 

There is nothing more aggravating than when your professor puts material on the test that was not on your study guide. Why couldn’t you just tell me I needed to know this? Do you purposely want me to fail? Rude. 

7) You can’t help but eat anything and everything in sight. 

Stress eating is SO real during finals week. The stress of exams and last minute assignments will lead you to eat just about everything. The urge becomes so strong there’s no point in trying to fight it off. 

8) You feel completely overwhelmed and tired all the time. 

Finals week makes you feel even more overwhelmed and tired than usual because you either have an assignment due, or a test in all of your classes. Did I mention this all happens in the same week? Studying for one exam alone is difficult enough, let alone having four in a matter of a few days. 

9) When all your friends get to go home before you. 

It always works out that you need to stay until the last day while all your friends get to go home a week before you. Having to finish finals week alone, without your friends, makes it even more miserable. 

10) You reach that point where you just want to give up, and you really just might. 

Your mind and body can only handle so much. Don’t push yourself too hard because once you finish all of the studying, you still have to take the actual exam. Take study breaks and give your body and mind what it needs to successfully make it through the week. 

While finals week can be extremely draining and stressful, there is nothing better than that incredible feeling of relief you experience when you finish your last exam and it’s FINALLY summer. You get to go home and see all of your friends and family whom you have missed so much; and you have a break from school for FOUR WHOLE MONTHS. What’s better? Absolutely nothing.

Meghan Mascitis is currently a Sophomore at Sacred Heart University and is a Marketing major with a minor in Fashion Marketing/Merchandising. Meghan is new to HerCampus this year and is a member of Zeta Tau Alpha sorority! She has always been passionate about makeup and the beauty industry, and hopes to enter into Cosmetic Marketing. She is an avid beauty lover who enjoys trying out new and up and coming products. Her love for coffee makes her a loyal Starbucks customer.
Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart '24

The official contributor profile for the Her Campus chapter at Sacred Heart.