This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacramento chapter.

Can you believe we are only in the second month of the spring semester? Neither can I because it feels like yesterday was the first day of school! Because February has arrived, I thought it would be great to inform you about the upcoming events and workshops hosted by the Women’s Resource Center (WRC) and the PRIDE Center at Sacramento State. After all it is Black History Month and almost Valentine’s Day, so that means it’s time for love and social justice! You don’t want to miss your chance to attend these 5 upcoming events.

1. How Do I Love Myself and Love Others Workshop:

Photo Courtesy of Matheus Bertelli

ASI is teaming up with WRC to host a “How Do I love Myself and Others” workshop on the 1st floor of The WELL inside the ASI Hotspot. We will have the opportunity to get creative and make our own self-love books! So, if you are having a hard time building relationships with others or yourself, why not attend this event? You will learn how to practice self-love and self-care so you can be your #bossbabe. Grab your friends and make Friday plans to attend this loving event for February 9th from 11am-12pm.

2. Why Latino/a History Matters to U.S. History Lecture:

Photo Courtesy of Porapak Apichodilok

On February 13th from 7-8pm, Dr. Vicki Ruiz will discuss the importance and relevance of why the Latin history matters to U.S. history. During the beginning of the lecture, there will be a few presentations about race, gender, politics and other topics from graduate students. You will definitely be in for an intellectual treat to feed your mind with curiosity. This event will take place in the Library Breezeway at Global Lounge. For more info and details about this enticing event, visit here.

3. FWORD: Examination of Black Feminist Thought Panel Discussion:

Photo Courtesy of Alexa Mazzarello

Have you ever thought, “What would our world be like without feminism, but especially without the contributions of black feminists?” If you haven’t, you must not miss the latest FWORD series event by the WRC! It will be an intriguing event to hear others speak about their views and how they take action to move our society forward. This panel discussion will be held on the 3rd floor of The University Union, Folsom Room on Tuesday, February 20th from 5-6:30pm. For more information about this event, please contact WRC at (916) 278-7388 or email wrc@csus.edu.

4. Safe Zone Training Educational Workshop Series:

Photo Courtesy of Freestocks.org

The PRIDE Center at Sacramento State has put together a LGBTQ+ Educational Workshop Series, which includes two Safe Zone Trainings, Current Events Discussion, Panel: Queer & Trans Womxn and Panel: Gender 101. The first Safe Zone Training is Thursday, February 22nd from 9am-12pm in the Forest Suite on the 2nd floor of The University Union. Come join to learn how you can make a difference to help your community feel safe in a loving and open environment by supporting students who are members of the LGBTQ+ community at Sacramento State. To learn more information and details on the other workshops, contact pride@csus.edu.

5. Walk Through Black Brilliance Event:

Photo Courtesy of Tamarcus Brown

Last but not least, do yourself one more favor by attending the Walk Through Black Brilliance event, which is also presented by the PRIDE Center! At this event, they will highlight a different person who will discuss their achievements and how they accomplished their goals. The PRIDE Center will have two sessions on February 19th, 9am-12:30pm and 22nd, 12-4pm in the Lobby Suite at The University Union. You might want to check out both sessions because you might miss out on something good happening!

If you can’t get enough community events to celebrate Black History Month, then visit some other events here. These events are a great way for us to explore other cultures and have educational discussions with our peers so we can take part in social justice in our campus community.

Guinnevere King

Sacramento '18

.