This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacramento chapter.

It is never too late to practice self-care especially during the heightened stress of school, social activities and other responsibilities we have. So many of us forget to take the time to think and care for our own self. Why? It is because as humans we are programed to be caring for others so we tend to forget to make ourselves a priority. During Valentine’s Day, I decided to spend it in my bed and studying for my test. Sounds boring, right? I know and it doesn’t help that it landed on a Wednesday during the week of school. Because I did spend it alone, I took the opportunity to take my own advice and practice-self care. I have never felt so much better and in tuned with myself. Therefore, I invite you to take the time to fall in love with yourself all over again. If your wondering how to love yourself, I’ve listed five helpful tips to help you start.

1. Turn Negative Talk into Positive Talk

Photo courtesy of  Lisa Fotios

When we think of love, we often associate it with friends, family, romantic or even loving our own pets. We tend to forget about loving our own self then we become our own critic as a result. However, this is just your own subconscious trying to deter you from what is most important. This can be easily changed by starting with a compliment you like about yourself every morning. You’d be so surprised by how much the little things help increase your mood. Try to think of what makes you happy in your life right now. Maybe ask the question, “What do I really enjoy about my life right now?” See, it is so easy to do. When you think about what makes you genuinely happy, you will notice how you will feel more positive and ready to spread your own joy.

2. Buy Yourself Chocolates

Photo courtesy of Oriana Ortiz

It may seem a little silly, but who doesn’t love chocolate, right? If you don’t love chocolate, there’s always cookies, cupcakes and other sweets you can devour. Why not treat yourself? You deserve it! The best part  after V-Day is the candy sale stores are having. You can’t pass up this frugal opportunity! I already stocked up on Hershey’s Kisses, Skittles and the other fun size candy mix packs all the way through Halloween.

3. Schedule Me Time

Photo courtesy of Leticia Sanchez 

After a long day of classes or going to work, sometimes you might need some me time to reset. By taking the time for yourself, it helps you to become centered with yourself physically and mentally. I know I am guilty of losing sight of this for my own sake. Every week, I always schedule me time in between school and work. This has helped me to not feel overwhelmed and I can take on the week during my best performance. You can do this too by simply having quiet time, playing your favorite music and relaxing for however long you need. There is no right or wrong way to do this. Whatever helps you to stay relaxed and keep a calm center, it definitely is worth a try.

4. Make a List of Things You Love About Yourself

Photo courtesy of Miesha Moriniere

This one may even be more cheesy to do than buying yourself chocolates, but it’s surprisingly effective. When you list out the things you love about yourself, it makes you feel much more content and at ease with yourself. It can be anything from your looks, personality to any other attribute or characteristic you enjoy about yourself. Sometimes, we don’t give ourselves enough credit and we criticize everything because we are trying to be our best all the time. I know when I was alone on Valentine’s Day, I asked questions to myself about why I am still single. Then, I remembered why I am still single and it’s because no one else has the dorkiest or lame jokes like I do. I love to make myself laugh so this helps me get through some of the hardest days I’ve experienced. It’s important to remember that there is nothing wrong with you, and that you’re beautiful just the way you are.

5. Take a Bath

Photo courtesy of Pixabay

After a long day, the best way to wind down is with a nice, hot bubble bath. You don’t even need the fancy bath bombs and soap flower petals (however if you have them, that’s great too!). It’s a relaxing way to clear your mind of all the negativity and those pesky deadlines that add to the stress. So, play some music, grab your favorite body soap or even a face mask and close your eyes to shut out all that extra noise.

The great thing about self love, is that it’s not limited to just Valentine’s Day. You can apply these tips on how to love yourself to everyday routines. It only takes 5-30 mins to take a step back and breathe deeply to relax your mind. Be on the lookout for on campus organizations for year round self-love events dedicated to help students de-stress, which may include puppy week, free chocolate, bath bombs, fuzzy socks, and more! For now, take some time for yourself girl, you deserve some love too.

Leticia is a Campus Correspondent and graduating senior at Sacramento State University. She majors in Sociology and minors in Journalism, hoping to one day serve justice whether that be through writing articles, engaging in social studies, or both. When she isn't racking her brain for pitches on her next story, she's probably taking pictures with her Nikon D3300 while listening to the latest Real Friends album.
Guinnevere King

Sacramento '18

.