3 Healthy Fitness Tips for College Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacramento chapter.

Winter break is almost here and being prepared for finals is just a no go for the most of us. College life is a challenging course on its own. It’s difficult to finish homework on time, missing home a lot and trying to have a social life when you can’t even make time for yourself. This all makes that pesky “Freshman Fifteen” seem very real. Unfortunately, this doesn’t apply to just the first year students anymore. However, there are some things we can do to stay healthy while in college.

Tip #1: Walk, walk, walk!

Photo Courtesy by Brooke Cagle

Obviously, we have to walk all over campus, from class to catching up with that new cutie you spotted on the way to the food court, but something else to consider doing, is taking a longer route to each class (assuming time permits) to burn more calories and explore a different view. If you live on campus and don’t have a car, try walking to a nearby park or farmer’s market. My favorite app to use is, “Charity Miles,” when I am going places. This app tracks the distance of your daily fitness activity of walking or running, and the company, Johnson & Johnson, will match that distance with a monetary value and that can be donated to any charity of your choice! This is a great tool to motivate you to get out there and be active!

Tip #2: Eat Sweets Sparingly

Photo Courtesy from Brooke Lark

“Do I really need a third cookie?” I am all for “treating yo’self,” but everything can be done within moderation. Believe me, it is tough to do this at school. There are so many options, many of which are not very nutritious, but are quick and easy to eat when we’re cramming in a meal between classes or homework. Try making better choices as much as you can. For example, choose the salad over the pizza if you’re thinking of grabbing dessert or instead of grabbing a bag of chips, try eating veggies with some tasty dip. These little choices will go a long way!

Tip #3: The WELL

Photo Courtesy from Freestocks.org

Here at Sacramento State, we are so fortunate to have a massive, well-equipped gym available to students within our tuition fees. I know the feeling of getting in after a long day of classes, and having tons of homework to do. The last thing on my mind is going to the gym. “I’ll start going Monday!” Hitting the gym doesn’t have to be a drag. Instead, try going with friends or use it as the opportunity to make new friends! Grab your go to groupie and sign up for a fun cycling class, Zumba, yoga or go rock climbing! It will be a fun environment for you to bond with your friends and hang out while getting all sweaty. Check out The WELL for more information on fitness classes, group workouts and upcoming events.

There are so many easy things to do to be at your healthiest in college. I know it’s a tough deal, balancing homework and everything school related, with trying to stay in shape, but these tips are sure to ease that load. So go out and grab some girlfriends, or do it solo, and get active!

Guinnevere King

Sacramento '18

.