bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Top 3 Ways to Stay Healthy During the Fall Solstice

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Fall is in full session! With colour trees, sweaters, scarves and cool weather, it is my favorite season. With that being said, I may have forgotten the true terrors of the fall season, excluding Halloween.

We have all faced the “sweater in the morning & shorts by midday” weather temperature, and unfortunately, these unstable weather conditions could mean flu season . Here are my tips:

Water

I am the queen of sore throats so this seems obvious but water is essential. You need it to survive on a day-to-day basis but you would be surprised how many people do not drink enough water. Water, especially lemon water, really helps keep your throat moist and stops the dryness that can cause sore throats and coughing fits.

Tea

Any kind of tea is fine, but I really like chamomile tea, peppermint tea, and green tea. I like them for the flavor but if I am sick or I can feel a cold coming on, I drink these three teas a lot more than usual. I mean two or three cups a day at least, and the following benefits are listed on livestrong.com but I fully believe in them and have experienced them myself. Chamomile tea contains a chemical called ‘hippurate’, this chemical is “associated with the botanical phenolics that boost immunity by fighting bacteria;” Peppermint tea contains ‘menthol’ which “hot cup of herbal tea can help loosen congestion and relieve coughing associated with colds and allergies;” and lastly Green tea can lower cholesterol and because of this “atherosclerosis conditions improve.”

Nonsteroidal (anti-inflammatory drug)

Make sure you stock up on Aleve, Advil, Motrin for pains and fevers. I have given you two really helpful tips that personally help me stay healthy during the weird months. But, if you do catch the flu it is fine because like I said before, it is not just you. So, snuggle up in bed, watch Netflix, and take your medicine and you will feel better in no time.

Zaria Cornwall is a fourth year English student at Ryerson University. She identifies as a 'she' and uses she/her/they pronouns. She considers herself a woman of colour with varied identity minors and is interested in such topics dealing with these ideas. You will see her write articles on: queerness, racialized identity, mental health, body positivity, and school life. She also happens to love international music, so, maybe an article on that too. Follow her on twitter at @rsuzaria.
Lena Lahalih

Toronto MU

Lena is a fourth year English major at Ryerson University and this year's Editor-in-Chief.   You can follow her on Twitter: @_LENALAHALIH