Serena Williams, the Greatest Athlete on Earth

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

The woman, the myth, the legend—Serena Williams. We’re so used to hearing her name that it doesn’t shock us anymore even though it should! We should not be used to her achievements, her records, and her raw talent as if every athlete could reach the same level of greatness. Facing race- and gender-based oppression at the outset of her career, Williams has soared to the top with what looks like effortless skill to us on the outside. In what sport does the 81st-ranked athlete beat the 1st-ranked one? What athlete still hasn’t reached her peak at the age of 36, with an average professional athlete retiring age of 33? What athlete can name their child Alexis Olympia—Olympia after the Olympic Games in which she won four gold medals, the highest amount ever won in tennis, and initials of AO after the Australian Open she won while pregnant? If this sounds like an exaggeration, take a peek at a couple of Williams’ top achievements of her (still thriving) career and see for yourself.

Click here

Julia is a third year journalism student who writes about arts, culture and her own personal failures.
Lena Lahalih

Toronto MU

Lena is a fourth year English major at Ryerson University and this year's Editor-in-Chief.   You can follow her on Twitter: @_LENALAHALIH