Pins I’ve Collected on Campus & What They Mean

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

By Jemma Dooreleyers

Growing up my style icon was Lindsay Lohan’s character from Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen. However, it wasn’t the shiny gold flare pants or the tight red sequins dress that did it for me—or any other unique outfit combinations for that matter. No, what I admired most about Lola’s look was her backpack decorated to the nines, with buttons representing who she was. Something about having my values, who I was as a person and groups I belonged to displayed upon a piece of clothing for the world to see has always appealed to me. And so, my pin collecting complex was born at the ripe age five. Fast forward to Frosh Week 2017, there are tables everywhere. Handing out—get this—free pins! Let me tell you, I had picked up all of the buttons I could fit in my hands faster than you can read a  catchy campaign slogan. As I was proudly attaching my new buttons to my also free canvas bag, later that night,  I found myself thinking, “Huh, I wonder what that’s about.” As all good teachers would agree, if I have this question, there is a good chance other people have it to. So, I did the dirty work so you don’t have to and without further ado, here are what all of the pins in my collection stand for and how to get more information about them.

Reproductive Rights and Body Autonomy

These pins were made in recognition for the campaign, “Don’t Mourn, Organize” that was created in response to the 2016 Presidential Election results and Donald Trump taking office. When the president was elected there was much concern around how women’s access to birth control was going to be affected and a general concern for the rights of women in general. This developed the Women’s March on Washington (and around the world). These pins show that the Canadian Federation of Students supports these notions and respects rights. For more information you can visit www.cfs-fcee.ca.

Sexual Assault Survivor Support

These pins were issued to raise awareness about the Ryerson Sexual Assault Survivor Support Line. This line offers safe, non-judgemental, free and confidential support for survivors of sexual violence. This organization is pro-survivor and pro-choice. On November 6th-9th, they are holding a referendum vote so they can add $5 to tuition to extend phone line hours, add a new text-to-chat system and many other things to update the help line. For more information visit: www.ryesassl.ca

No More Stolen Sisters

RCMP data states that Aboriginal women and girls are four times more likely to be murdered and go missing than non-aboriginal women. The No More Stolen Sisters movement calls  attention to this tragic issue. This movement follows the recommendations of the Truth and Reconciliation Committee. For more information on actions and volunteer opportunities visit www.cfs-fcee.ca/nomorestolensisters/

Fight the Fees (Combattons Les Frais)

The Canadian Federation of Students believes that high tuition is discriminatory against students that come from middle to low income families. This is because the provincial student loans that come from the government of Ontario have high interest on them so the students who can afford to pay for tuition upfront are actually paying less for university than the students who pay through loans. This also has negative repercussions on racialized and indigenous students because statistically, they come from lower income backgrounds. Fight the Fees is fighting for three things: the progressive reduction of tuition fees, the conversion of provincial loans into non-repayable grants and the removal of interest on existing student loans. For more information, you can visit: www.cfsontario.ca/campaigns/fight-the-fees/

Consent Comes First

Consent is a very important theme in universities across Canada in 2017. Universities want their students to be engaging in educated and consensual sex. Ryerson is no exception. Every student living in residence this year was required to attend a Consent Comes First workshop and there are posters around campus showing what a consensual exchange looks and sounds like. For more information you can visit: www.cfs-fcee.ca.

Grow a Revolution

This pin raises awareness about the Good Food Centre on campus. As one of Canada’s oldest post-secondary relief programs in Canada, it provides relief hunger relief for those struggling with food security. This service is available to full time/ part time students, staff and faculty members. Currently the service is advocating for food rights for the community at large. It is also going to be participating in the referendum on November 6th-9th. It will be asking for a $5 increase in tuition to support locally grown projects and providing other updates to the food bank system. For more information you can visit: www.ryegfc.ca

Eat Local

This is referring to the environmental benefits of eating locally sourced foods. The Good Food Centre is also campaigning to integrate locally sourced foods into their food banks. For more information, once again visit: www.ryegfc.ca.

Challenge Sexism

This pin shows that the person who is in possession of the pin believes that sexism needs to be addressed and abolished once and for all. Sexism has been an institutionalized and social discrimination for as long as humans have roamed this Earth, the Canadian Federation of Students believes that it is time to put an end to it.

Unlearn Discrimination

These pins show that the Canadian Federation of Students stands with all minorities. There is also a button in this series that says “Unlearn Ableism”. This shows that the Canadian universities stand with minorities and marginalized groups and that it is possible to unlearn discrimination at any age.

We are all one

This button just shows that we all live on one planet and no matter what our differences, it is important to support and love one another for who we are because we are all human and without each other we are nothing.

Hi! This is the contributor account for Her Campus at Ryerson.
Lena Lahalih

Toronto MU

Lena is a fourth year English major at Ryerson University and this year's Editor-in-Chief.   You can follow her on Twitter: @_LENALAHALIH