This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

By: Swetha Srikanth

Winter is in fully effect! If you want to get creative or make a gift, here’s an idea for you. The best part is that it’s customizable, easy to make, and looks great. The project cost less than $5 (or even less if you already have any of the materials at home) and the three coasters were made in under an hour. With many of us having moved into dorms or new apartments, these coasters make for the perfect housewarming gift.

Materials:

• Wood
  • Saw
  • Sand Paper
  • Wax Paper
  • Printer Paper
  • Inkjet Printer
  • Computer
  • Scissors
  • Plastic Card
  • Felt Dots
  • Clear Sealer

Instructions:

1. Have realistic expectations. DIYs don’t always work out, and are never perfect the first time you try them. Expect this one to take a few tries.  

2. Buy untreated wood. Cut the wood into small, coaster size pieces or buy pre cut wood.  I cut my wood into 2.75 inch x 2.75 inch squares using a mitre saw.

1. Sand the surface and edges of the wood lightly, just enough to smooth out rough and uneven parts.

2. Cut wax paper, wrap around printer paper, and tape the edges. The wax paper needs to be attached to the printer paper so that it runs through the printer properly.

1. Choose an image, size it to fit the wood pieces, and reverse it on your computer.

2. Print the image onto the wax paper using an inkjet printer (I’m not sure if a laser printer works, but testing it wouldn’t hurt).

1. Cut out the wax paper image and place it onto the wood piece. Use a plastic card to press and swipe over the surface multiple times to transfer the image. It’s important to do this as soon as you print the image, so the ink doesn’t dry out. Also, place the image carefully and try not to move it around or it’ll smudge.

1. Stick four felt dots on the back of each piece so that they can be placed on all surfaces.

1. Apply a clear sealer to protect the pieces from moisture and staining when in use. Wait 24 hours to let the sealer fully dry.

1. You’re done! Wrap it up for someone. If it doesn’t turn out so great, gift it to a loved one anyway. It’s the thought that counts, right?

All photos taken by Swetha Srikanth.

Hi! This is the contributor account for Her Campus at Ryerson.
Lena Lahalih

Toronto MU

Lena is a fourth year English major at Ryerson University and this year's Editor-in-Chief.   You can follow her on Twitter: @_LENALAHALIH