This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Deciding what we want to do for the rest of our lives is hard. Whether or not we have our futures carefully outlined, life has a funny way of altering our plans in the most unexpected of ways. I decided to sit down with a Ryerson student, who has preferred to remain anonymous, and ask her the hard questions surrounding her aspiration to become a doctor. Does she have a backup plan and what advice does she have for other doctor hopefuls? Read on to find out what she said.

1. Why do you want to be a doctor?

I think it has to do with having a sick sibling. For about sixteen years, which is most of our lives, since we are in our early twenties now, she has been sick. The talk in our house has constantly revolved around the topic of doctors, diseases, medicine, and hospitals. I have spent a lot of time in hospitals, hearing of cures which were both traditional and naturopathic.

2. What kind of doctor are you hoping to be?

As I continue to learn more in school, the kind of doctor I want to be changes. Currently I am interested in being a cardiologist or an emergency doctor. At first I really wanted to be a gynecologist, but as I learned more my interest in cardiology grew.

Source: Giphy

3. What do you think is the biggest obstacle in your way to success?

I think that my biggest obstacle is my inner fear and that little voice in my head. I have a fear that I may not end up with a job, even as a Canadian graduate. My biology teachers best friends husband was a Canadian medical graduate and he did not have a job. So that was really scary to me.

I’m also really worried about the competition. Everyone around me is so smart, and I am one of those people who has to work a lot to get somewhere. I don’t have that natural talent. I also know that my relationships with my friends will change. We will be fighting for spots in medical school, so I know the relationships we have now where we help each other, will change and become more competitive.

4. If I had a bag filled with careers and you could choose any one of them, which would you choose?

Definitely a doctor! I know that even if it gets tough for me, I can stop at any time, like after ten years and do something else. But being a doctor is something I really want to experience and do.

5. Have you always wanted to be a doctor?

Well, when I was younger, I wanted to be a housewife, so there’s that. I still think about it sometimes (laughs), when the school work gets harder. But no in terms of being a doctor, it has been on and off. It started off with my parents pushing me a bit, but they weren’t very strict. They wouldn’t force me to be something I didn’t want to, especially career wise. But they did help initially. I did always want to do something in the medical field. At first I thought that I would become a scientist, like work in biotechnology. For some reason I saw myself working in a lab, but then I thought to myself, yes labs are fun, but can I really do them for the rest of my life?

Source: Lissarankin.com

6. If it doesn’t work out, what is your backup plan?

I have realized that life doesn’t always go as you plan. I would love for this to work out, but I actually have a bunch of backup plans. I have three back up plans. I actually have four, but I can’t really remember the fourth right now so I am going to say three. I’m going to have a medicine degree so through the right connections, I think it is possible to get a job in the health industry. Also, a lot of people end up going to osteopathic school if they don’t make it through as a doctor so there is always that.

Source: Giphy

7. Advice for other aspiring doctors?

You really need to think about it. Is this what you really want? Don’t do it for the money. You can make more money in something like a business than as being a doctor. Especially because of the amount of hours you have to work, it’s not worth it for the money. You have to make sure medicine is your passion. You have to be willing to learn constantly because there is always new information coming into the medical field. You have to keep up with it so that you can provide your patients with the best and up to date care. Mentally prepare yourself for all the moments you are going to want to give up. Think about it, everyone can’t and does not become a doctor. There is a reason for that. It is hard.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

What are your future career aspirations? Tweet us @HCRyerson!

English major at RU. My hobbies include procrastinating, watching makeup tutorials on YouTube and continuously reminding myself to appreciate the amazing life I've been given :)
Hi! This is the contributor account for Her Campus at Ryerson.