Campus Life: Upcoming Events

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

I have a confession: I stay away from on-campus social events and attend only when it can’t be avoided. Such evasion is an unhealthy but unfortunately deeply rooted life choice. However, in the two years that I’ve been at Ryerson, I learned that quite a few events that happen on campus are usually really exciting, and often I find that I’m happier that I did convince myself (or let someone else convince me) to go.

Each time I go an event catered to my interests, I come back feeling extremely refreshed, energized, and glad to have been introduced to new ideas or people. That’s the important thing about attending events in our social and political climate, knowing true facts and good people is more vital than ever before. University events are a great place to start, most people attending institutions like Ryerson tend to – but don’t always – espouse the same viewpoints and it’s a good idea to start connecting with them.

Of course, this doesn’t mean that I encourage going only to political events. I recently attended the White Wall Review book launch for their 40th print edition, and just being in a room full of poets and writers was a wonderful way to spend my evening. Coming home from this event with a renewed energy to write and produce art was part of the reason why I went. Events and programs at the hosted by the university and other student groups aim to educate on topics such as language, writing, literacy and mental health. There’s something for everyone, from arts and music to politics and culture and just afternoon chill sessions down at the SLC.

Over the next couple of weeks, there are quite a few interesting events going on downtown, political and otherwise, which I would suggest attending! I’ve listed only a few of the many events happening, but be sure to keep an eye out on the Connect RU Events page and the Ryerson Events page and be sure to follow the RU Student Life Twitter!

1. January 31st: Lewis and Lewis: Capitalism & Climate, Trudeau & Trump: Part of the Action Lecture Series, hosted in the Library Building on 350 Victoria Street.
  2. February 2nd: Sounds of the Times: The Albums that Changed How We Listen: discussion of Neko Case’s album, The Worse Things Get, The Harder I Fight, The Harder I Fight, The More I Love You,” and angry pop music by women in a lecture by Gillian Turnbull. Hosted at the Imperial Pub on Dundas.
  3. February 3rd: Chill Session. Hosted at the SLC.
  4. 17th to 19th February: Shades of Our Sisters: an event to honour the lives of Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women, Girls, Transgender and 2 Spirit People. Hosted at the Ryerson Student Centre
  5. Keep an eye open on the META Facebook page for their upcoming Valentines raffle! 
English and Philosophy undergraduate at Ryerson, with a love of fiction, coffee and sunsets. Multicultural and forever dreaming of leaving a dent in the world of cultural literature.
Hi! This is the contributor account for Her Campus at Ryerson.