Black History Month Events at a Glance

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

With the cold and gloom of February comes the important and illuminating Black History Month. Inspired by renowned historian Carter G. Woodson’s work researching the achievements of black Americans and people of African descent, the first Black History Month started in 1976 after 50 years of a Black History Week funded by the Association for the Study of African American Life and History. Black History Month is valuable every year, but this year, in the face of an oppressive leader, hopefully it resonates a little more strongly with those who have chosen to ignore both the very real struggle black people face every day and their endless contributions to society.

To take part in the celebration of incredible individuals, Ryerson’s Racialised Students’ Collective, in collaboration with the Ryerson Students’ Union, Continuing Education Students’ Association of Ryerson, Ryerson East African Students’ Association, United Black Students at Ryerson, Black Liberation Collective Ryerson, Ryerson Black Muslim Collective, and the Ryerson African Students Association, has put together a series of Black History Month events. Here are just some of the amazing opportunities available all this month and the next.

Ryerson Events

1. Black Art Show

All throughout February and March, Oakham Cafe will be showcasing art done by local black artists. If you want to find out more about the artists behind the art, stop by the cafe for a reception with some of the artists at 6p.m. on Feb 16. Learn more about what inspires them and show your support for these artists!

1. Unmasking Black Masculinity Workshop

If you’re a black-identified man or masculine of centre person and interested in learning more about the toxicity of masculinity, this is the event for you! Facilitated by Makai Imani, an Afro-Caribbean first generation Canadian whose work focuses on creating spaces for marginalized students, you will learn to critically examine masculinity and work to shift the way you define masculinity. Come by the Thomas Lounge on Feb. 13 at 5:30p.m. to participate!

1. Queering Black History Month: Exploring Our Queerness: African Immigrants in the Diaspora

This event, located in the Thomas Lounge at 6p.m. on March 10, “aspires to re-insert the lives, experiences and achievements of queer and trans African, Black and Caribbean people.” Information about guest speakers is to be announced!

1. Moonlight Movie Night and Community Dinner

A stunning film following the life of a young black man as he grows up and searches for his place in the world, Moonlight is an Oscar-nominated movie you will not want to miss and will be thinking about for weeks after. Come to Library Building LIB072 on March 20 at 6:30p.m. to experience this masterful creation. Due to popular demand, register on Eventbrite beforehand!

Visit Ryerson’s Black History Month Facebook page for more information about each event and what other events are available!

The Ryerson Image Centre’s winter exhibit is also something you won’t want to miss. Entitled “Power to the People: Photography and Video of Repression and Black Protest,” the image centre’s many exhibits illustrate everything from the Black Panther Party to protests against police brutality.

ATTICA, USA 1971: IMAGES AND SOUNDS OF A REBELLION shows images from photojournalists allowed inside the prison during the rebellion of 2200 inmates at Attica Correctional Facility for better living conditions and civil rights in the face of great political unrest.

SISTER(S) IN THE STRUGGLE: ANGELA DAVIS AND KATHLEEN CLEAVER shows two of the leading women in the Black Panter Party in images from the image centre’s Black Star Collection.

Visit the Ryerson Image Centre’s exhibit page for more information about all the exhibits you’ll be able to see during the current season.

Toronto Events

If you’re interested in a more current view of repression and black protest, visit Gladstone Hotel during the month of February to see NO JUSTICE, NO PEACE: FROM FERGUSON TO TORONTO. This exhibit gathers the work of three justice-oriented photographers to showcase what the current scene of protest against systemic racism looks like, from the Ferguson protests to Black Lives Matter Toronto.

From Feb. 15-19, Toronto’s fifth annual Black Film Festival is on. With individual film tickets ranging from $10-$20, you’re missing out if you don’t jump at the opportunity to see some of the incredible black films this festival has to offer. Visit their website to learn more and buy tickets.

On Feb. 19, support local black entrepreneurs at the Black Owned Pop-up Market. Get in for free, and get a one-time $10 discount on purchases of $40 or more!

Finally, on Feb. 25, come out to support the honouring of African-Canadians and their contributions to their community and others at the African Canadian Achievement Awards. Learn more about all the ways in which African-Canadians have made a difference in our society and help celebrate their work.

Julia is a third year journalism student who writes about arts, culture and her own personal failures.
Hi! This is the contributor account for Her Campus at Ryerson.