Where to Go on February 14 According to Your Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

Whether you will be celebrating Valentine’s Day, Galentine’s day (though that’s technically on February 13), or Palentine’s Day (yay friends!), here are the best places to go based on  your college budget.

High End ($$$ most college students’ pipe dreams)

Food: If you wanna go somewhere fancy and hella pricey to impress your special friend(s), head on over to Due Mari. They have a 4-course prix-fixe for $58 per person which includes (in simple terms because I am not fancy like them) an appetizer, pasta, entree, and dessert.

If you still want someplace fancy for a little less cha-ching (or more, they have that option too), you can try the Frog and Peach. They have a 5-course tasting menu for $64 or a 3-course pre-fixe for $39.

Catherine Lombardi is also an Italian restuarant with beautiful atmosphere and an intimate setting. Another one of their specialties is their wine list (if you’re legal of course). Definitely a classic vday splurge place. 

Clydz is a restaurant that offers VERY exotic meats. Adventurous eaters welcome! These dishes do not come cheap, so if you wanted to try braised python ravioli or venison Denver leg, make sure you come with a full wallet! In addition, they also do have the staple chicken, beef, pork, and fish, so there’s something for everyone (except maybe vegans, sorry, but vegetarians you can come too!). Check out their website to see their various options.
Definitely make a reservation if you decide to go to any of these places.
Or check out their website to drool over food you can’t afford (I can’t be the only one right…).

Fun: After you feast at your fancy restaurants (or before you go), check out the State Theatre or the George Street Playhouse!

Decent Amount of Money Spent ($$ you could afford it)

Food: Harvest Moon, Old Man Rafferty’s, Veganized, and The Dillenger Room. All affordable but not your everyday dining experience (unless your weekly budget is more than $10) 

Fun: Check out the ZImmerli  Art Museum, and see if Mason Gross has any shows going on (you don’t have to celebrate on February 14th even though the title says so). 

HELP I’M BROKE ($ I actually have maybe $10 in my wallet if i’m lucky)

Food: Destination Dogs, a place unique enough to be special, but not expensive enough to make you cry. 

Or check out the Fritz. They have an assorted amount of baked goods that won’t hurt your wallet and amazing sandwiches too. 

If you’re craving chocolate and pure sugar, head over to Thomas Sweet. They have a whole store for chocolate, hand-crafted fudge, and various other sweets. 

Fun: 
The Rutgers Cinema has student tickets for $5.50!! 

Or if you’ve exhausted your meager supply of money on food already, you can walk around on Douglass (there are so many myths about relationships there). 

If it’s too cold for you, just get into your pjs and lump around. Nothing wrong with a nice face mask or watching a movie on your laptop.

YOU CAN HAVE FUN REGARDLESS OF THE SIZE OF YOUR WALLET THIS VALENTINE’S DAY. You deserve it. Love yourself. And your friends. And your special people. 

Part grandma who enjoys baking, knitting, cats, and scarves while also part child who still can't handle anything remotely scary and always needs a blanket.
Born and raised in Northern New Jersey, Faith attends Rutgers University in New Brunswick, where she plans to major in Psychology and minor in Philosophy and Criminology.  Faith enjoys writing and traveling. She loves cats, books, and the color blue. In the future, Faith would like to attend law school.