Ways to Make Money That Aren’t Campus Jobs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

A job while taking a full load this semester? Out of the question (praise to those that do).

Ok but maybe a campus job, with flexible hours at the dining hall, labs, offices? Ugh commitment…Weird online gimmicks that take more time researching and getting the hang of to actually start seeing any gains? Maybe you just need some extra moo-lah for Olive Branch specials, or Scarlet Pub Thursday nights? Point is sometimes you just need extra cash, and you don’t want to commit to a job or calling up mom, dad, grandma, your siblings, aunts, uncles… you get the gist. Here is where side hustles at RU can come in “klutch”.

Photo Source

Experiments, we’ve heard about all sorts of research studies that literally give us answers to everything, my go-to thought is Joey’s own contribution to fertility testing on Friends. However, you don’t have to actually share as much as Joey did right here at Rutgers!

There are a variety of studies being done, like anything that will bring you cash it requires an effort, as my favorite derivatives professor says, “there’s no such thing as a free lunch!” Instead of scrolling past instagram pics that give you serious FOMO spend your last drops of a Sunday evening to good use. This past year I have earned some pretty decent cash participating about a total 5 hours to attending very SIMPLE experimental studies and made almost $100, mind you i said YEAR, so no i didn’t make this in 5 hours one day, but hey the money in the 4 times I participated came in quite handy. That said DO NOT expect that this side hustle will provide you a steady stream of income, what it will do is provide you with surprise opportunities to make some extra, much needed cash.

Another idea? Turns out all the clothes, books, supplies, and extra stuff you have lying around in your dorm may not be all that essential. I know, you’re smart, you probably already sold off those pesky clickers and books through our FB groups, but why not try to squeeze some extra cash from extra things you have lying around. Finally the idea of garage sales starts to make sense. If youre fashion savvy and have items lying around lightly used check out those online thrift store services, sometimes they do all the work for you that all you need to do is ship it! Poshmark, the facebook selling groups, ebay, are all great places to sell your stuff and make a little extra money.

Photo Source

This one may not be a side hustle, but it is SO vastly overlooked that I had to share, especially as this is hopefully my last semester and I’m safe to share my little hack and not worry about being screwed over. EBAY, when I tell you that I practically never spent over $30 for a textbook, I swear I am not trying to pull a fast one. I truly never did. Ebay has so many textbooks available in older editions, international editions, and from a variety of prices, something I also like to do often is message sellers to see if they’ll pity me and help me save an extra buck or so by reducing price or shipping, plus letting them know I need my book ASAP for an assignment sometimes really makes the difference between getting it in 5 days or 10 days because a real human is on the other side of your transaction. I not only scored textbooks from Ebay but clickers and calculators. I remember my friends sitting next to me whining about their $100 clicker, it was hard not to burst out laughing when I had only paid $10 for mine, and it served its purpose entirely well. So much so that on one occasion i lost mine and reordered another one at the same $10, I barely flinched. (I will say check where items are coming from and if you’re not sure of delivery or item quality ALWAYS ASK before buying) You will also have Ebay to contact in case of any issues. These are just a few of the ways you can earn some $ and save some $, what will you do with the $ you now have in your pocket?

Photo Source

Photo Source: Pexels

Valentina is a business student with an open mind for all things creative and innovative. She knows the real-life struggles but maintains an idealist view. She can easily be entertained on a spectrum of Gossip Girl to House of Cards with Portlandia in between.