Top 8 Trends From the Oscars Red Carpet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

The 90th annual Academy Awards ceremony celebrated the year’s top films on Sunday, March 4th and thankfully no awards were given to the wrong movie this time. Here are the top fashion and beauty trends from the Oscars red carpet looks!

Fashion Silver and Gold Metallic

The winter holiday season may be long over, but some of the most memorable dresses from the Academy Awards presenters shone on the carpet and onscreen in party dress metallics. 2014’s Best Supporting Actress winner Lupita Nyong’o and 2010’s Best Actress winner Sandra Bullock both wore glittering gold and black gowns that mirrored the prestigious Oscar statue. “Wonder Woman” actress Gal Gadot and 2013’s Best Actress winner Jennifer Lawrence each rocked sequined silver gowns with matching jewelry.

Draping Sleeves What better way to accentuate your Oscar trophy than with dramatic, floor-reaching sleeves? Supporting Actress winner for her role in the film “I, Tonya” Allison Janney wore a bright red column gown with long, draping sleeves that couldn’t be missed when she won her award later that evening. Presenter Taraji P. Henson added an edgy take on the trend in a black tulle gown with separate cascading sleeves.

Off the Shoulder Gowns

The popular style that was seen on numerous flowy tops this past summer made its way over to the 90th Academy Awards red carpet. Best Actress Nominee Margot Robbie wore a fresh twist on the trend in a white gown with draping sleeves. Others had a more traditional take reminiscent of vintage red carpet looks, such as Best Supporting Actress nominee for “The Shape of Water” Octavia Spencer’s forest green gown, 1991’s Best Supporting Actress winner Whoopi Goldberg’s belted floral gown and “The Handmaid’s Tale” actress Elisabeth Moss’s sequined gown belted with a Time’s Up pin.

Floral Print

While Meryl Streep’s iconic and Oscar-nominated ‘Devil Wears Prada’ character Miranda Priestly was definitely not a fan of this pattern, many of those at Sunday’s ceremony felt differently. “Stand Up for Something” performer Andra Day and presenter Whoopi Goldberg both donned multi-colored floral gowns. Another take on the trend was embroidered designs, such as the sunshine yellow gown worn by Greta Gerwig, nominated for Best Direct and Best Original Screenplay for her film “Lady Bird”. “Get Out” actress Betty Gabriel’s turquoise gown also featured embroidered floral patterns on the shoulders and train.

Blush Sequined/Beaded Gowns

Several actresses also rocked blush-toned gowns in addition to the variety of bold colors and shimmery metallic sheen on the carpet Sunday night. “Get Out” actress Allison Williams, presenter Elisabeth Moss, and “Jane The Virgin” actress Gina Rodriguez each channeled Old Hollywood glamour in their beaded and sequined gowns. Best Supporting Actress nominee for her role in “Lady Bird” Laurie Metcalf wore a chic sleeved blush sequined gown.

Beauty Orange Lipstick

By far the biggest makeup trend of the night among those walking the red carpet was an eye-catching orange lip. The bold hue was often paired with brightly colored dresses such as 2003’s Best Actress Winner Nicole Kidman’s royal blue, presenter Eiza Gonzalez’s canary yellow, and presenter Jennifer Lawrence’s silver gowns. Comedians Maya Rudolph and Leslie Mann wore the popular lipstick shade with complimentary red gowns.

Fresh Face Makeup

While an awards ceremony can often be associated with bolder beauty looks such as winged eyeliner and red lipstick, an equally as chic glowing and minimal look was donned by several attendees. Best Actress nominees Saoirse Ronan (“Lady Bird”) and Margot Robbie (“I, Tonya”) and presenter Gina Rodriguez kept their makeup relatively simple and allowed their glowing complexions to be the focus of their looks.

Smokey Eyes

A go-to for a night out, smokey eyes never seem to go out of style on an awards show red carpet. Last year’s Best Actress winner Viola Davis paired her eye-catching hot pink gown with a classic silvery smokey eye. Actress Sandra Bullock wore a brown and gold eye look and presenter Zendaya’s warm brown smokey eye perfectly matched her flowy gown.

Cassidy hails from Delaware County, Pennsylvania and is an undergraduate Journalism and Media Studies major and Psychology minor at Rutgers University with a passion for telling stories. She is the current Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Rutgers.