Tarana Burke Visits Rurgers University

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

Recently, the RUPA and VPVA organized an amazing event that changed my life. Tarana Burke, the founder of the #Metoo movement, came to our school. It was such a pleasure to listen to her ideas and stories. She inspired me with her passion for service and helping others. One thing she said that stuck with me was that “You can not lead people, if you are not willing to serve the people”. She emphasized the importance of issues and sexual assault in marginalized communities. She stressed that the #Metoo movement regards the entire spectrum of abuse.From child sexual abuse to relationship violence, abuse can occur anywhere.  The #Metoo movement is a channel through which marginalized communities could come forth with their stories. Their voices are often shut out by strong authorities, but through the help of social media and a strong community they can be heard.

Another important conversation she brought up was the importance of defining assault and the misconceptions people have about the #Metoo movement. Sexual assault is a very black and white issue. If a person is making the other person uncomfortable and is touching him or her without consent is is defined as sexual assault or harassment. The conception that this is a movement to take down powerful men is a ridiculous notion.The #Metoo movement is about bringing people together, and it is an outlet where people can let their struggles and voices be heard. It is a space where one can be stronger after facing hardships.

Tarana Burke talked about creating a space to cultivate joy and recognized where joy lives in our lives. We can all easily point out where the trauma lives and some of us make this trauma our identity. Victims are strong survivors, but are even stronger when they show what survival looks like. She said as a community, healing is something everyone can do together.

I would like to end this with shifting the narrative. You should inform yourself about the sexual harassment policies in your workplace or university. Be courageous and make a difference in your community and prevent abuse from occurring.  

Image captured from YouTube

Source: The Tab

Photo Source