This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

So it’s your freshman (or sophomore) year of college and you’re asking yourself, should I join a sorority? When you hear the word sorority, you probably imagine this bouncing blonde with a huge smile across her face clapping and cheering with all her other bouncing blonde friends. It’s probably what the movies have told you. Luckily these stereotypes aren’t true, and I’m here to answer all your questions and tell you why you should definitely consider joining an on campus sorority!

1) IT’S NOT FOUR YEARS IT’S FOR LIFE

As cliché as that sounds, it’s true. The girls that you’ll meet in your new member class and the sorority aren’t just going to be there for you the four years you’re in college. These are going to be the girls that’ll be your bridesmaids at your wedding and the ones you make your future children call their Aunt even though you’re not biological sisters. It’s a bond that’s simply unbreakable.

2) YOU’RE NOT PAYING FOR FRIENDS

This is probably the most common thing you’ll hear from someone when you tell him or her you’re thinking about joining a sorority. “Why don’t you just make friends instead of paying for them?” If anyone were to ask you this, here’s what you tell them. Sororities have things to pay for. They have a house to maintain, events to attend, philanthropies to raise money for, and fees to pay. These things unfortunately aren’t free. Of course some sororities will cost more than others, but almost every sorority has payment plans and are willing to work with you.

3) YOU BELONG TO SOMETHING BIGGER THAN YOURSELF

It’s extremely difficult to describe what it truly feels like to be a part of a sorority, or what it feels like to put on your first pair of letters. A sorority isn’t a sorority without each and every one of its 100+ members. Because when you’re altogether, whether it be planning your next philanthropy event, meet the sisters, or even just hanging out, they all make you feel unstoppable. And that really is the beauty of being a part of a sorority.

4) YOU’RE NEVER ALONE

It’s pretty obvious that you can’t be best friends with 130 girls but when I tell you that these girls will always have your back I’m not lying. If you get your heart broken, or you just failed an exam, these girls will be there with a tub of ice cream and a shoulder to cry on. If you just landed a dream job or aced an exam you were worried about, they’ll be there to tackle you with hugs when you walk through the door. They’re your sisters and that’s what they’re there for.

5) YOU’LL ALWAYS HAVE SOMETHING TO DO

In an organization with over 100 members, there are always girls who are going to be going places and doing things that you want to do. And I’m not just talking about going with you to your favorite pizza place so you don’t have to walk alone (although they’ll do that too!). I’m talking about clubs and other organizations that you want to be a part of or a job or internship. You’ll have connections like crazy and you’ll always have someone by your side who will take interest in what you like to do.

Now that you know some of the amazing benefits about being in a sorority, I hope you get on your laptop or go out on campus and take a look at sororities that you’d be interested in joining. And if you do decide to join one, I’m telling you now, there’s no better feeling in the world than sprinting to your new home and hugging you’re brand new sisters on bid day!

Rutgers University student who enjoys Netflix, a good book and some pasta :)