Phil Murphy: A Better Candidate than I Expected

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

A couple weeks ago I was scrolling through Facebook and saw an event: Town Hall with Phil Murphy. I was familiar with his name, I’d signed up to receive his newsletter in order to get a better idea of what his campaign was all about. And to be honest, from the emails I’d been receiving, I wasn’t particularly impressed. He seemed like a diehard democrat and not the trustworthy and progressive candidate I was looking for. But I was willing to listen so when I saw the event and saw that it was right at the Student Activities Center I immediately RSVP’d yes. I went in leaning towards supporting John Wisniewski as he had endorsed Senator Bernie Sanders in the national election who I share many values and political views with.

I walked in right before 9:00pm as the candidate was being introduced and so within minutes Ambassador Murphy was standing in the middle of the stage with a microphone. In the beginning of his town hall, as he spoke about himself, I saw a lot of what I had expected. A lot of party loyalty and anti-Christie anti-Trump rhetoric. Which, yes, I agreed with. Most progressives in New Jersey and even some conservatives are pretty sick and tired of Chris Christie. But it felt more like he was trying to find ground that none of us could disagree on. Not only that, but also it gave a bit of a negative start to the town hall. Which is to be expected from most Democrats so shortly after the election. But that is exactly my point. It was expected. Not to say it’s only a Democrat problem, because clearly it is not. But was the same pandering that we had heard from Democrats for years, the most mainstream and recent of those people being Hillary Clinton. You can argue that she had to acknowledge and condemn the rhetoric coming from Donald Trump, but I believe that there are better, more effective ways to do that.

For example:

Does a good chunk internet laugh every time was Donald Trump was roasted in a debate? Yes. I have right there with them, retweeting the memes. But coming at him with cold hard facts, or just letting him speak long enough is a good enough way to condemn him without isolating Trump supporters and and saying that half of them ‘fit into a ,“basket of deplorables.” 

I talk about the National election because it’s on many of our minds as we continue to be active citizens who want to play a role in who represents us in our government. Even Mr. Murphy pointed out that we are one of two states up for the election of a governor so soon after this very divisive election (the other state being Virginia, which is always up for election due their one term limit for governor). And for this reason, it is important to discuss this year’s national election when discussing who should govern New Jersey, especially because of the large role the Governor Christie played in this year’s election.

Back to former Ambassador Murphy (ambassador to Germany from August 21, 2009 – July-August 2013, in case you’re wondering), who was cracking jokes alongside talking about Trump and Christie, was at this point not someone I was going to be happy to vote for. My feelings changed, however, when students began asking questions. I was ready to leave, but I figured I may as well stay for a couple of questions. I ended up staying for all of them.

Rutgers University students asked some very intelligent questions on issues that are in need of urgent attention like sexual assault on college campuses, issues regarding NJ transit fares and infrastructure maintenance, and the increase in college tuition fees alongside the decrease in monetary support from the the state to Rutgers. Mr. Murphy answered these questions, not with half answers but with understanding that New Jersey has been headed down a path that does not benefit a majority of its citizens.

At the end of the town hall I had the opportunity to ask Mr. Murphy whether or not he supports the decriminalization of Marijuana (he does!) and discuss his policy differences with former presidential candidate Senator Bernie Sanders. I can’t say I’ve decided who I’m voting for yet, but I see a brighter future for New Jersey as we see more progressive candidates running for governor.

Booktuber. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPXMfHl6SMxbTjt1Uzo3jfA Pursuing a double major in journalism and media studies and political science at Rutgers University.