Notable Women in History

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

Today marks the end of Women’s History Month. Take a look at some of our favorite women from history!

Ruth Bader Ginsburg

Photo Courtesy of Wikipedia Commons

Notorious RBG is the second woman to ever be nominated to the Supreme Court. She is currently 84 years old and is still as fabulous as her first day as an attorney. RBG was born in Brooklyn and made a name for herself at both Harvard and Columbia Law Schools. She would go to start the Women’s Rights Project at the ACLU and even taught at Rutgers Law! In 1993, she was nominated to the Supreme Court by President Bill Clinton. Since then, she has heard many important cases and influenced many SCOTUS decisions.

Gina Rodriguez

Photo Courtesy of Marie Claire

Star of Jane the Virgin, Gina Rodriguez is more than just a talented actress! She attended NYU’s Tisch School of the Arts and has made many philanthropic contributions. Gina recently teamed up with CustomInk and the Parent Advocacy Coalition for Educational Rights’ National Bullying Prevention Center for a “Be Good to Each Other Campaign.” She is also on the Board of Directors for the Hispanic Scholarship Fund. Each Monday, Gina posts about an important person of color on her Instagram. Follow her here for some inspirational #MovementMondays!

Eleanor Roosevelt

Photo Courtesy of Quiet Revolution

Not only was Eleanor Roosevelt the longest-serving First Lady of the United States, she also was the first chair of the Presidential Commision on the Status of Women, first representative to the United Nations Commission on Human Rights, and the first chair of United Nations Commission on Human Rights. She was incredibly politically active throughout her life, even publicly disagreeing with some of her husband’s policies. She held hundreds of press conferences during FDR’s presidency and wrote extensively in journals and newspapers. She was ranked ninth of Gallup’s list of Most Widely Admired People of the Twentieth Century.

Born and raised in Northern New Jersey, Faith attends Rutgers University in New Brunswick, where she plans to major in Psychology and minor in Philosophy and Criminology.  Faith enjoys writing and traveling. She loves cats, books, and the color blue. In the future, Faith would like to attend law school.