Michelle’s Movie Guide : Why “Gravity” May Be the Biggest Oscar Contender Yet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

“Land!” is exactly what I felt like exclaiming as I made my way out of the theater. And no, it was not because the theater was located in a body of water. It was because I had just taken a journey along with Sandra Bullock and George Clooney – led by director Alfonso Cuaron – into outer space. At least that’s what it felt like.

I struggled to catch my breath with every gasp Dr. Ryan Stone (Bullock) made. I was surprised to feel my tears running down my face as Stone’s floated off of hers. I felt alone despite the fact that I was in a crowded theater. And I feared for my life every step of the way even though I sat comfortably in my cushioned movie theater chair.

Walking into the film I thought that my expectations were too high, or that I’d get bored, or that the 3D wouldn’t be worth the money. Instead I was captivated the whole time and I wished I paid to see it in IMAX.

Never have I ever experienced a film quite like “Gravity”. In regards to the actors, they became my friends – people I know in my everyday life. As for the visual effects, it was a step forward for the film industry as a whole. And when it came to the script, it’s amazing to see how so much character depth and plot can come from a lonely and impossible sounding scenario.

What “Jaws” did for the ocean, “Gravity” did for outer space. Despite the fact that I don’t think I can even go there if I wanted to.

Personally, I think “Gravity” should go home with more than one Academy Award this year. And it should be nominated for practically every single category.

But I must admit that I’m a bit biased. Considering that I haven’t seen half the films that are said to be major contenders as well – such as “12 Years a Slave”, “Captain Phillips”, and “The Butler”. However, there is one award I’m torn about already:

Best Actress.

While Sandra Bullock was phenomenal and held all of “Gravity” on her shoulders, Cate Blanchett’s performance in “Blue Jasmine” was a force to be reckoned with.

However, awards put aside, “Gravity” is definitely a mesmerizing adventure that will wow the average movie goer. Next time I see the film I may need to pack my space suit. 

Latina Journalista