Michelle’s Movie Guide : Is Thor 2 The Best Marvel Movie Yet?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

Here’s why you might want to FINALLY check out last fall’s hottest flick in the comfort of your home.

On it’s opening weekend the God of Thunder came storming into theaters with a record breaking box office of over $86.1 million. Thor: The Dark World is now officially the most profitable individual superhero film ever released by Marvel – not counting The Avengers – and has made 2013 Walt Disney Studio’s most successful year yet.

But does the sequel to the 2011 film real live up to all of its hype in those Hollywood dollars?

I guess it depends on how you look at it.

It’s clear to see that the film definitely followed in Marvel’s footsteps placed with Iron Man 3. Humor was the key to the entire film. Jokes constantly being cracked by just about every character in times when it was necessary and in times when…well, no so much.

However, one thing that Iron Man 3 had that Thor: The Dark World did not was a build up to its final action scene. There was something about the Thor sequel that seemed a bit tranquil. You never got that – “Here’s the big action scene!” feel. The jokes seemed to mellow out all of the action and somehow take away from the special effects that were easily thrown together in the few short months they dedicated to the film.

On that note, did anybody get the feeling they were watching one giant featured episode of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.? In comparison to the Marvel spin-off show, the special effects in the film seemed to be not much better than what they can produce on a weekly basis.

But despite those minor points, Thor: The Dark World was indeed exactly what fans had been hoping for. The film was full of adorable brotherly bonding between Thor and Loki and was sure to include references to The Avengers with a peek into its sequel (HEADS UP: Stay after the credits!). It also brought back the mostly helpless, but secretly brilliant, Jane Foster and her wacky team, who introduced some pretty creepy looking villains, and even threw in a surprise appearance that sent the audience into an uproar!

This film really helped widen the Marvel universe and provided fans with that sense of fandom they were hoping for.

It is captivating, fun-loving, and really takes fans into life on Asgard for the two hours they’re in the theater.

My final rating: I give it a B.

Don’t agree? Tell me what YOU think below! 

Latina Journalista