This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

Name: Keoni Nguyen

Year: Sophomore

Major: English, Minor in Digital Communications Information and Media

Hometown: Howell, NJ

Involved with Her Campus Rutgers, RUPAWS (former member).

What is your best memory at Rutgers?

I think, so far, my best memory at Rutgers is the 250th celebration with my floormates. I live in a River Dorm and we had an amazing view of the fireworks from our lounge. My RA ordered pizza and we had a beautiful time watching the fireworks and bonding as a floor.  

Can you talk about what motivates you to pursue an English major?  

I like how prevalent English is—it’s one of the most common languages in the world. The language itself is beautiful and allows a lot of room for expression. For example, you can turn words into a song or a poem or a story. The language itself is malleable and you can always find a new way to interpret it.  

What’s your favorite weather?

Thunderstorms. I love being wrapped in a blanket and watching a movie during a thunderstorm. I love the pitter-patter of the rain and the intense rusting of the trees. I also love the thrill of it. I especially love the sound.

What is the quirkiest thing about you?

My annoying laugh. Everyone thinks my laugh and voice are very cute. I hear my laugh and it reminds me of a child. My laugh is definitely a signature, I think it sounds like a screaming monkey.  

How has writing for Her Campus impacted you?

It’s definitely given me structure and responsibility. It’s nice having due dates for articles and it has allowed me gain a sense of responsibility. It has also changed my perspective towards work ethic.  

Hannah Javed

Rutgers '19

Senior Editor at Her Campus Rutgers with a love for salads, pizza and bright lights.