This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

]

Meet Huda Nageeb! US born but of Pakistani descent she’s Rutgers’ Alpha Gamma Delta’s and Panhellenic’s first Muslim sorority girl!

Year: Junior

Major: Finance

Sorority: Alpha Gamma Delta

When: Deciding to rush this Spring semester of her Junior year, Huda began the rush process this January.

Why: “Coming from a close-knit community based on my background, but being a transfer student, I wanted to find another community based more on sisterhood and common interests as women and students. I wanted to find long-term friends and people I could talk to and hangout with anytime. “

Inclusiveness during Rush: “I was nervous about rushing because I didn’t know if I would be accepted since I wear my scarf and have my praying rituals. Some people suggested during Rush that I not wear it until bid day; however, that wasn’t who I am and I wanted to stay true to my beliefs and be chosen for who I was, out of the norm and different. My biggest fear was not getting a bid because it was so new and different and unseen that a Muslim Pakistani girl would rush for Greek life. Throughout as time went on however, I saw people embrace me and my differences and like me for who I was, scarf and all. In the end, I felt closest aligned to Alpha Gamma Delta, and luckily, they wanted me as well.”

Feelings now: “Now, I feel so welcome and connected to my sisters who are sweet and open with me. Last week in particular was a whirlwind due to gifts, events, and support that I receive constantly from everyone in Alpha Gamma. Ultimately, I’m grateful and happy to be part of such an amazing sisterhood and be accepted for who I am no matter my background or beliefs, instead of being ostracized for them I feel celebrated.”

Valentina is a business student with an open mind for all things creative and innovative. She knows the real-life struggles but maintains an idealist view. She can easily be entertained on a spectrum of Gossip Girl to House of Cards with Portlandia in between.