How to Wear Fall’s Top Makeup Trends Around Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

1. Gold Highlighter

Thanks in part to the highly anticipated launch of Rhianna’s new makeup line Fenty Beauty, where a pure gold hue took center stage, a blinding gold highlighter is one of this fall’s biggest and most wearable trends. For the days when you want to rock a more natural glam, wear a coat of your favorite golden shade on the cheekbones of a bare face to achieve a glow from within. If you’re feeling a bolder look, apply the highlighter on the cheekbones, the tip of the nose and the cupid’s bow. A highlighter can also be swept over the eyelids as a shadow for a little extra shine. Pair this with a neutral, glossy lip and get ready to glow.

2. Vampy Lipstick

An oldie but a goodie. For us makeup lovers, dark lipstick is as synonymous with fall as pumpkins and Halloween are to everyone else. Wearing a vampy lip once fall rolls around is hardly a new trend, but that doesn’t mean it’s lost its impact. The best way to make this look work on campus is to pair it with minimal eye and face makeup so your lips can really make a statement. Just be sure to use a lip liner in order to prevent the color from streaking or feathering throughout the day. And don’t forget to toss the tube in your bag in case of touch ups!

3. Warm Smoky Eye

There has been an increase in the amount of warm toned eyeshadow palettes on the market lately for a reason. These shades have been trending for the past several months and are likely to increase in October as both our wardrobes and the trees turn warmer in color. A palette such as Urban Decay’s Naked Heat with shades of orange, red, and brown is quickly becoming a beauty staple. There are many different eye looks that can be created with these types of palettes, such as a twist on the standard smoky eye by replacing the dark brown crease color with a warm orange toned shadow. Wear with your favorite nude lipstick for a classic and monochromatic fall look.

4. Metallic Shadow

This look may seem too bold to wear around campus for some, but it can be worn in a variety of ways that fit all comfort levels. In order for this look to be the most impactful during the daytime, apply it to the lid and blend it out with a neutral shade. If you’re feeling a little wary of wearing a colorful eye look around campus, stick to lighter shades such as rose pink and gold. For a bolder look, look for a mauve or bronze toned shadow. Keep the rest of your eyes minimal except for the lashes in order for the metallic shadow to stand out more.

Cassidy hails from Delaware County, Pennsylvania and is an undergraduate Journalism and Media Studies major and Psychology minor at Rutgers University with a passion for telling stories. She is the current Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Rutgers.