How to Get Ready in 20 Minutes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

We all have those days where those five extra minutes of sleeping in become an hour, and then it us against the clock to get ready for the day. Let’s be real ladies, we all don’t wake up with perfect skin, tousled hair, and dramatic eyelashes. Putting on our faces takes time and extra focus, especially before we’ve had our coffee. Here are my tips and tricks to get ready on those days where time is of the essence and being late is not an option!

• Minute 1: You snoozed, but you didn’t lose! Wake up girl, you’ve got places to be!
  • Minutes 2-9: Brush your teeth and wash your face. If you must shower, make it quick; avoid washing your hair and shaving!
  • Minutes 10-12: Pick out an outfit, stat! My go-to outfit on days like these is a pair of black leggings, an oversized top, a scarf, and boots.
  • Minutes 12-15: Makeup time! There is no time to put on heavy foundation, so I highly recommend smudging on some concealer and setting it with powder. After that, quickly fill in your eyebrows, apply a coat or two of mascara, and finish it off with tinted lip balm.

[pagebreak]

• Minutes 16-18: Apply some dry shampoo or baby powder in your hair if necessary, and rock an up-do! My favorites are the donut bun (with an actual donut accessory, this takes no time!) and the high ponytail.
  • Minutes 19-20: Grab your bag, an on-the-go breakfast item (granola bars, fruit, etc.), and head out the door!

You’re done! Here is the magic trick to looking like you spent two hours on yourself in the morning in twenty minutes. Sacrificing your beauty sleep is not only hard, but it is also not recommended! Also, to save even more time in the morning, pack your bag and pick out your outfit the night before. This way, you’ll be best prepared for the next day and are less likely to forget anything. So don’t panic the next time you snoozed your alarm too much, make the most of the time you have to get ready and no one will know!

Priyanka is a junior at Rutgers University, New Brunswick. She is pursuing a major in Marketing and a minor in Spanish language. Priyanka is obsessed with beauty, fashion, and coffee. When she is not running around campus, Priyanka enjoys spending time with her Sigma Kappa sorority sisters, shopping at Zara, and watching Sex and the City.Get to know her more! Follow Priyanka on Twitter: @priyankajayy