College Fashion Week NYC: Recap

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

Amidst the bustling world of fashion in the city of New York, College Fashion Week took over on October 10th, 2015! Just in case you missed out on the event this past weekend, we have the inside scoop on all the trends and happenings that took place at College Fashion Week NYC.

The event kicked off around 6:00 pm, when the doors of the Santos Party House in Lafayette opened to swarms of guests that had gathered there from all over the East Coast. The club’s interior reverberated with a mingling of a hip, artsy, and underground party vibe. I have to admit, the giant disco ball was my favorite piece in the whole club. 

The event started off with different sponsors scattered at tables on the first and second floors of the venue. Among the sponsors, there were tons of giveaways and opportunities to take photos at various photo booths across the floors. If you stopped by the Monthly Gift booth, you could enter to win a 12 month subscription and an opportunity to take pictures at their photo booth with a chance of being picked to be a model for their upcoming campaigns. Monthly Gift is a subscription box that tracks your period and before your time of the month, they send you a box filled with all the feminine necessities you need and CHOCOLATE! A box that literally has you covered and sends you chocolate? What’s not to love?!

Monthly Gift wasn’t the only contender catering to the photo booth idea, but as was Sorel. Combining fashion with functionality, Sorel was the official shoe sponsor for the runway looks of the night. Their fun and interactive photo booth allowed you to share your pictures to all social media accounts right from the screen! 

While waiting for the Fashion Show to start, collegiettes had the opportunity to be pampered at the European Wax Center’s Brow Bar and at Jamberry’s Nail Wrap Bar. The event also had the gift side of things covered, with The Little Words Project featuring customizable bracelets that can be registered online and tracked as you pass them between generations or share them with friends. These bracelets encompass and celebrate the power of words through sharing and paying it forward. 

After everyone was pampered and returned to their seats, the main event of the night began. Windsor, one of HC’s founders opened the Fashion Show by introducing all of the sponsors and two performance groups. Columbia University’s male acapella group; Columbia SHARP performed two songs and came back for an encore from the cheering crowd. Afterwards, Florida native and up-and-coming R&B artist, Teenear performed her single, “Friday Nights” and inspired the crowd to never give up on their dreams. As the energy of the night was at its peak, the fashion show began.

All the clothes were donated by twenty one Forever21 stores all over NYC and the outfits were put together by a stylist from StyleWatch Magazine. The looks encompassed the college lifestyle and were very customizable. The outfits were divided into different “scenes” or collections. The makeup and hair was all very natural and done by the fabulous Glamsquad.

Each collection featured a different theme. From comforting plaid prints, blouses, and long skirts, to fun and glamorous pieces, every sense of style imaginable was highlighted during the show. Some notable trends were seen in layering prints with simple and solid colors and by accessorizing glamorous pieces with low-key ones in order to give yourself that flawless, “I’m not trying too hard, but I am” look. Among the looks of the night, some notable pieces were:

The night finished off with a wonderful finale and everyone was cheering and having the time of their lives. Each attendee received a goody bag with Teenear’s debut single and tons of other treats supplied by Milani Cosmetics, SkinnyPop, Luna, European Wax Center, Forever21, Monthly Gift, Sorel, Jamberry, and more!

All in all, this was a truly unforgettable and fun event! When College Fashion Week comes around next year, RSVP for a spot and attend! Hope to see you there!

Born and raised in Northern New Jersey, Faith attends Rutgers University in New Brunswick, where she plans to major in Psychology and minor in Philosophy and Criminology.  Faith enjoys writing and traveling. She loves cats, books, and the color blue. In the future, Faith would like to attend law school.