Campus Cutie: Shannon Gilbert

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

Meet Shannon Gilbert, our Campus Cutie of the week! Gilbert takes being involved on campus to a new level. Her enthusiasm is unmatched and her personality shines through in everything she does. Read on to learn more about one of the most thoughtful and determined students at Rutgers.

Name: Shannon Gilbert Hometown: Wall, NJMajor: economics and ancient historyMinor: sustainabilityYear: 2018Relationship Status: single

What are three words you would use to describe yourself?“I would say easygoing, passionate, and optimistic.”

What activities do you do at Rutgers?“I am involved in the Residence Hall Association (RHA). I am the president of Brett Hall. I am a research assistant in the Graduate School of Education, working on a project called PRACCIS, which stands for Promoting Reasoning and Conceptual Change in Science. I am also an Honors Ambassador and Peer Mentor for the SAS Honors Program.”

What made you want to pursue those activities?“From right off the bat, I knew I wanted to get involved. I knew that Rutgers was a really big place. I came from a really small high school, where there were 125 kids in my graduating class. I knew if I really wanted to enjoy and appreciate Rutgers, the best way to do that was to make Rutgers feel small, which I could do by getting involved in a variety of things.”

What motivates you to stay active in all of those organizations?“The people that I work with and people that I work for do. For example, for RHA, if I am planning an event and it takes so much time and it stresses me out but then people come to it and they say that they had so much fun and made a ton of new friends then it makes it worth it for me. It makes me want to plan another event even if it stresses me out. As far as the other organizations, the people really motivate me there as well.”

How do you unwind when everything gets really stressful?“Usually, I come back, watch some Netflix, maybe go to the gym, or go to Woody’s for a wrap. But usually collapsing on my bed and listening to music is a good way to relax.”

What is your proudest accomplishment?“I guess I’d say one of the proudest things of last year was when we were planning this formal dance through RHA when I was the treasurer. At first, I was really proud that I was elected because I was brand new to this building. I had to hang posters up, not knowing if people were secretly judging me. For the formal, my job was to keep the costs low. I had the idea to go out to businesses in New Brunswick and ask them to donate food. None of the other members of RHA thought it would work. But I did it anyway. I went to all the restaurants on Easton Ave and George Street and, at the end of the day, three businesses actually donated food. It made everyone more excited for the dance because there was going to be great food there. Everyone on RHA could not believe that I made it happen. I was really proud of that especially because I was a freshman.”

Who or what inspires you?“I think a lot of people inspire me in different ways. My mom inspires me to always keep trying my best and to always be passionate in the things that I am doing. My dad inspires me to stay driven and think things through. My grandma inspires me to be forgiving and be accepting of everyone who comes through my life. My friends inspire me to join things, go for internships, to work hard in my classes. In Brett, I am surrounded by so many amazing people who are doing so many amazing things. It really inspires me to be a part of really great things.”

What is your dream job?“If I did not have to think about money, my dream job would probably be to just travel around the world, taking pictures. I guess being a travel blogger because you get paid to visit all these amazing places and tell other people how amazing they are. If I did have to think about money, my dream job would be an investment banker at Goldman Sachs.”

What do you want people to remember you by?“I would say I would want people to remember me as the one person who always made them feel better. If it was a bad day, I want to be the one to put a smile on their face. If they were stuck in a jam, I want to do whatever I can to get them out.”

What is your favorite TV show right now?“My all time favorite TV show is 30 Rock because it is so smart and so funny. Tina Fey is not afraid to make fun of herself. Right now, I am watching House of Cards. Although it is not completely true, it is crazy and interesting to see the inner workings of power.”

What would you say to other students looking to get involved on campus?“Do not let your experience or grade determine what you get involved in. I know for RHA and my research position people always say that they cannot do things like that because they are a freshman. But I remind them I was a freshman when I did that. Go for it because you never know what is going to happen. They probably won’t care that you are a freshman, but really just want someone who is best for the job. If that is you, great. If not, then find something that is.”

What is one thing you have always wanted to do?“I think it would be cool to go skydiving, but skydiving over Italy or France. That way, you could see all the monuments or the city all lit up.”

What is your #1 goal this year?“Something I am working towards is getting a good internship for the summer, preferably in New York City. I also want to leave a lasting impact on Brett. It is probably going to be my last year living here. I want to make sure all the freshman carry on the Brett traditions and the Rutgers ones as well.”

Born and raised in Northern New Jersey, Faith attends Rutgers University in New Brunswick, where she plans to major in Psychology and minor in Philosophy and Criminology.  Faith enjoys writing and traveling. She loves cats, books, and the color blue. In the future, Faith would like to attend law school.