Campus Cutie: Monica Sung

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.
Name: Monica Sung 
Hometown: Old Bridge, NJ
Major: Finance
Minor: Political Science
Year: Class of 2018
Relationship Status: Single  

Three words to describe yourself?
outgoing, passionate, hardworking

What do you do at RU, and what do you like about it?
 I’m involved with a lot (too much) on campus. I’m the Academic Affairs Chair of RUSA, the student government here at Rutgers. My job is to solve student problems relating to academics. I love being a part of RUSA because I like to be a part of change. Ever since I was a kindergartener and argued with my classmates to change the rules that only boys got to play kickball, I’ve loved creating meaningful change that will help not only me, but many others after me. I’m currently working on an initiative to get mental health information on all syllabi. While this process can be tough and tiring, it’s so rewarding to know that access to this information could one day save someone’s life or help someone get out of a bad place. 

I’m also involved with Road to Wall Street and Women BUILD, mentoring programs for students interested in business and finance. I’m involved in the mentoring programs because I’m a big believer in self development and seizing all the opportunities given to us in life. These programs present a cornucopia of knowledge and opportunities for me to learn about both the world and about myself.

What motivates you in school or in these organizations?
What motivates me to work so hard in school and in my organizations is the need to make a change. My biggest fear is dying without having actually contributed to this world, without having made my mark.

How do you relax and unwind when everything is stressful ?
I either check my email (oddly the most relaxing thing on this list), go for runs, or if it’s a treat yo self kind of day, watch an episode of Gilmore Girls. 

What’s your proudest achievement? 
My proudest achievement has been staying true to myself. Everyday I’m put in situations where it would be easier to blend in than stay true to myself- I could laugh at that sexist joke that the finance guys just made, or I could just nod yes as my friends scream about how they think all banks are destroying the world. But I really work hard to stay true to myself and be authentic. I’d never want to be a person that changes their opinions with the blink of an eye. This gets tough as I’m a part of many different groups that often have differing opinions but I try my hardest to stick to my core values.

Who is your role model?
My role model has always been, is, and always will be my sister Sophia. My sister can walk through the worst of times, and always have a smile on her face. When she’s around you, you can’t help but be happy. Even if it’s just making someone smile that day, she has a positive impact on every person she meets. She sees the positivity in everything around her and that’s something I strive to look for every day. 

What do you like doing for fun or in your free time?
In my free time, I like to spend time with friends/family, play tennis, go to museums, and try new foods (both eating and cooking!). 

What’s your dream job?
I’d love to be a stock trader or work in asset management. Any job that allows me to balance both my love of markets and finance while still interacting and connecting with people. 

What do you want people to remember you by?
I want to be remembered as someone who left a positive impact on every person she met. 

What are you hobbies?
I’m really into learning about gastronomy and cooking. I watched Saturday morning Food Network not cartoons as a kid, and have a subscription to Food and Wine along with one to Seventeen. I care a lot more about Thomas Keller than I do about Tom Cruise. I’ve always loved cooking, and love watching ingredients come together to make something even more beautiful. Even though I grew up cooking and eating mostly Chinese foods (which will always be my go-to comfort foods), my favorite styles of cooking to learn about are new-American, French, and Spanish.

What advice would you give to underclassmen?
Take advantage of every chance you get to have a mentor. I think I have ten “official” mentors, each of whom have taught me something different about both the world and myself. As a younger sibling I’ve always learned by watching what those before me have done, and mentors are really just a great source of information and advice. You also don’t need official mentors through a program or anything. If you see someone on the eboard of a club you’re in or anyone that inspires you, who’s into the same kind of stuff you are, ask them for advice- it can’t hurt!

What would you say to other students looking to get involved on campus?
Follow the sage advice of both Nike and our good friend Shia LaBeouf and just do it! There’s so many things to get involved with on campus. Ask around your friends, look at all the signs on the boards across campus, just go to things for the free pizza! Even if you find out you don’t like a new club you tried, you got to experience something new. 

What is one thing you’ve always wanted to do?
I’ve always wanted to go on the show “The Amazing Race” with my sister. We both are super competitive and love to travel. I can’t imagine being crazy jet lagged, running like an idiot, and doing both culturally explorative and death defying challenges with anyone else but her. 

What is your #1 goal this year?
Stress less, and don’t take things so seriously.
Part grandma who enjoys baking, knitting, cats, and scarves while also part child who still can't handle anything remotely scary and always needs a blanket.
Born and raised in Northern New Jersey, Faith attends Rutgers University in New Brunswick, where she plans to major in Psychology and minor in Philosophy and Criminology.  Faith enjoys writing and traveling. She loves cats, books, and the color blue. In the future, Faith would like to attend law school.