This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

A couple of years ago, my father told me that being negative is easy. He explained to me that it is so easy to let hard times get the best of you. It is easy to let life make you bitter, angry, and pessimistic. Sometimes, being happy is not just a circumstance of life. It is a choice. And a difficult one at that. Because of talks like these, brought to me by a father who can never stop looking on the bright side, I grew up determined to choose happiness whenever I could. To be fair, there wasn’t much of a choice most times. Happiness was almost always there, just waiting for me to acknowledge it. However, when life got difficult and happiness did become a choice, I realized that what my dad had been telling me was very true. Falling into a swirling vortex of negativity is easier than I would like. I’ve learned over the years that the easiest way to find positivity is to spread it yourself. To borrow from a popular adage, if you can’t find the sunshine, be it instead. Here are some ways to do just that:

·         Create something. Draw, paint, write, maneuver some sticks. Whatever you want. Creating creates happiness.

·         Do something for someone else. Leave them a note, bring them some food, anything counts.

·         Smile. Even if you don’t feel like smiling. It’ll make you feel happier. I promise.

·         Talk about things that you like.

·         Put positivity out into the universe. Wait for it to come back.

·         Try falling asleep thinking about things that you’re looking forward to the next day.

·         Ask someone how they’re doing. Be genuine about it.

·         Be kind to yourself and everyone else.

Do you have any other go to ways spread happiness? Let us know in the comments! 

Sophomore Linguistics major at Rutgers University. Probably currently eating oatmeal.