Allyson Bagalay and Hannah Cook

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

Tell me about your business, Shutheforkup
Shutheforkup is a platform for exhibiting our food adventures throughout the city and beyond. We enjoy going out to eat and trying new restaurants. Whenever we go out to eat, we take photos of our meals and post them on our Instagram account. These photos provide our followers with a guide of where to eat in New York City.

What inspired you to start Shutheforkup?
We were at a café called Devocion USA in Brooklyn studying for microbiology and pharmacology. We took a quick study break and were looking through our phones when we realized how many photos of food we had. We decided that we wanted to share our meals with the world by providing an Instagram feed solely dedicated for foodies. After brainstorming for a few hours and narrowing our options down, we finally agreed on Shutheforkup. The name itself is witty and catchy and perfectly describes how people feel when they’re so captivated by what they’re eating that they can’t even speak to the people they’re out to eat with.

How do you manage creating your own business, while maintaining all responsibilities of a college student?
We’re both nursing majors, so naturally, we are always stressed out beyond belief. Shutheforkup is an outlet for us to reward ourselves for all of our hard work. From volunteering, working part-time, and studying for exams, we never fail to find time to focus on Shutheforkup. On the weekdays, we devote the majority of our time to studying, and on the weekends, we give ourselves a break by indulging in Shutheforkup.

What has been your largest challenge in starting this business?
The hardest challenge by far has been gaining recognition. We hope to reach a larger audience one day.

What advice would you give to others who are trying to follow a dream, and don’t know where to begin?
Just do it. By organizing yourself and narrowing down exactly what it is you are truly trying to fulfill, you will become focused on the goal you want to achieve. Don’t mind the opinions of others because this is YOUR dream, and not theirs.

What’s your favorite part about running Shutheforkup?
Our favorite part about running Shutheforkup is experiencing food from around the world. By doing so, we have become more culturally aware. We enjoy trying the different spices and ingredients that are incorporated in the dishes. By communicating with people of other ethnicities, we have learned about their favorite items and we have sought out to go try them ourselves.

What would you like to see for the future of Shutheforkup?
It is no secret that we are passionate for food. This past year, we had the opportunities to travel within the nation, such as Arizona, Louisiana, Florida, and Washington. We would love for Shutheforkup to eventually go international so we can experience the food of different cultures first-hand.

Additional Information:
Allyson Bagalay is originally from Bloomfield, New Jersey. She attended Bloomfield High School and is currently a third year nursing major at the College of Mount Saint Vincent in Riverdale, New York. In her spare time, she enjoys going to art galleries and concerts. She volunteers at Bellevue and works part-time for the Sisters of Charity.

Hannah Cook is originally from North Kingstown, Rhode Island. She attended North Kingstown Senior High and is currently a third year nursing major at the College of Mount Saint Vincent in Riverdale, New York. In her spare time, she enjoys art, running, music, tennis, cooking, and traveling.

Follow them on Instagram
Like them on Facebook

Milena Drozd is a passionate, optimistic, and conscientiousness person, majoring in Communication with a specialization in Public Relations. In her spare time, Milena can be found in the kitchen, either baking, cooking, or eating- sometimes even all of the above. Rest assured, there is usually a laptop or iPad playing "Criminal Minds" or "Law and Order: SVU" on Netflix within earshot.
Born and raised in Northern New Jersey, Faith attends Rutgers University in New Brunswick, where she plans to major in Psychology and minor in Philosophy and Criminology.  Faith enjoys writing and traveling. She loves cats, books, and the color blue. In the future, Faith would like to attend law school.